Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:08 PM   #1

Hi,

Soon (hopefully) I will get the 18-200mm VR for my D50. I want to buy an UV filter to protect the lens, but I am a bit confused.

I lean towards Hoya hmc, but don't know which one to go for. On Ebay, there are

1. Hoya HMC for $17

2.Hoya HMC Super for $35

3. Hoya HMC Pro1 $40 from Chinese, $10 more from US sellers

4. Hoya HMC Pro1 Digital $35 from chinese sellers, $45 from US sellers

Which one is the best for the lens? Also, should I refrain from buying from Chinese/HK sellers, or the filters are authentic?

Thanks!
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:40 PM   #2

Considering the cost of this lens I would opt for the Hoya Super Multi-Coated Filter (SHMC). As for the Hong Kong e-Bayer's, many of them have A1 feedback ratings but you have to considershipping charges and their return policy should the filter arrive damaged. As far as authentic goes, it often takes a working professional in any field, to tell the current fakes from the real thing.

In the past I've purchased used filters from the local camera shop(s) and have always got an excellent product at a very reasonable cost.Just inspect the glass carefully and make sure the filterthreads are not damaged.

As for myself I just bought an 18-200VR and put abrand new B+W 72mm UV F-PRO UVfilter on it.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3

Thanks Sting.

The prices I quoted are shipping included.

My question is then, how does B+W 72mm UV F-PRO compare to HMC Pro1 (Digital) since they are in the same price range?

Also, where did you get your lens from and how much did it cost you? I am in Montreal, and I placed an order from an Ontario sotre to save the provincial tax
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:08 PM   #4

The difference in filters would, in my opinion, be marginal.The B&Wwas available at the time that I purchased thelens, but I have a collection of Hoya Super's as well. I bought the B&W in Ontario for $60 including tax. The Hoya was selling for $70 +taxes.

Larry
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote