Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:31 PM   #1

I'm hoping this wasn't a mistake! I just bought the Nikon 18-70mm on ebay new for270 inc.shipping. I was going to use it with a d40 body only purchase (whichI have yet to buy but have seen for$422 inc. shipping). Now I'm wondering if I should have just bought the d40 with it's kit lens. I guess I could always resell other lens on ebay. Any thoughts on this purchase? Erin
potter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:57 PM   #2
rey

It's hard to find sellers that sell the D40 body only. But if you do get one, the 18-70 lens works with it, and is probably better than the 18-55 kit lens.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:12 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. There is one on ebay now from The Camera Box which looks pretty reputable. I'll probably end up paying 100-150 than buyingthe d40together with the kit lens. I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the extra 100-150.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:09 PM   #4

The D40 is not supposed to be available as a body only purchase, so I would question any vendor that is selling it that way. The 18-70 is definitely a step above the kit lens packaged with the D40.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Administrator

potter99 wrote:
Quote:
I was going to use it with a d40 body only purchase (whichI have yet to buy but have seen for$422 inc. shipping).
As already mentioned, Nikon USA does not sell this camera as a body only.

Most dealers you find with lower prices on Nikon gear are bypassing the Nikon distribution network and importing gear that is not intended for sale in the country it's being sold it.

This is referred to as gray market gear.

Nikon USA will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S., even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Some of the other Nikon distributors (for example, Nikon Canada) have the same policy. They will not service it, period. You must buy the gear from an authorized Nikon dealer and it must be intended for sale in the country you are buying it in if you want any service (and they will know by it's serial number).

Stick with a reputable vendor that offers a Nikon USA warranty with the product. Be careful as to how it's worded in the listings. MOST great deals you for Nikon models are gray market cameras, and the sellers will often use misleading statements about the warranties (1 year warranty that's a store warranty versus a Nikon USA manufacturer's warranty, etc).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:54 PM   #6
rey

I echo the comments above. You mentioned the company's name, and if this is them, it specifically says "Import"

http://www.thecamerabox.com/product.asp?id=nidd40

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:06 PM   #7

Thanks for the great advice. I knew nothing about gray market gear. I'm looking for a reputable dealer and a product with a Nikon USA manufacturers warranty, right?I think I'm better off staying away from ebay for this purchase. I'll stick with a vendor that people on this site recommend and I'll be buying it with the kit lens. You have saved me big headaches I'm sure. Erin
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:04 PM   #8

Excellent decision, Erin!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:34 PM   #9
rey

There are a few reputable stores on eBay, the biggest is probably Cameta. Here's a link their D40's:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Cameta...280321QQsofpZ0