Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:20 PM   #1

I recently purchased a D80 and have been rather unhappy with my 18-135mm kit lens (as I should've known). I also have the 50mm 1.8, which is better. I switched the Rebel XT with a 28-135mm IS lens (great lens) and a Canon 50mm 1.8 for the D80. I much prefer the D80 body, but the images are taking some getting used to. Very different. Got to watch that ISO. I switched as I could probably inherit some lenses from my family. Anyhoo, I want another lens. I'm avoiding getting a flash as I hate them and am, for now, concentrating on available light only. I have two toddlers I take pics of, but desperately want to venture back out into the "real" world soon and get some landscape-type images. I obviously have no idea what lens I want - I just know it is one of these two... Nikon 28mm 1.8 or Nikon 85mm 1.8. :-)I like the wide angle idea (although I know the 28mm is pretty much equivalent to film 50mm and, therefore, not exactly a wide angle). But I've also read great reviews about the 85mm 1.4 (I'd opt for the 1.8).The bokeh supposedly isn't as nice as the 1.4, but I don't have an extra million dollars in my pocket kwim? I'd love to hear some opinions about these two lenses. Just really not sure which way to go. I don't mind my 18-135mm on the wide-end, but HATE it on the zoom. So maybe the 85mm is the right idea. Then again, I could get more in the pic with the 28mm.TIA forany input. :?
Cleo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:22 PM   #2

Woops! I meant the 28mm 2.8. :O
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:05 PM   #3

I don't have the 28 2.8 but the 85 1.8 is a cracking lens. This is a smashing portrait lens for anything less than a half body on anadultor outdoors if you want to work at a good distance. For children it's even better andis a big help with those distracting backgrounds.The 50mm you have is a sharp as they come (I have the 1.4 but there is nothing in it)and a good portrait lens for the rest of the circumstamces. As you say the wide endis less dependent on the speed of the lens so the 28MM might prove less useful.if it was meI'd plump for the 85mm.

Ifon the other handyou think the 85 is too close to your 50 (I don't) you might think about a third party Macro either the 105 2.8 Sigma (my preference)or the 90mm 2.8 Tamron. These are still sharp short telephotos but have the big bonus ofadding the 1:1 macro facility to your kit.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:25 PM   #4

Thank you Vinny. Someone else has mentioned that 90mm Tamron to me. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. I am a little more tempted to go with the 85mm as I already have the 18-135, but would love to play with both. Not going to happen though. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Appreciate it.