Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1

The D80 kits mostly available here feature a 18-70 Nikkor,a 18-135 Nikkor respectively; equally priced, roughly.

I consider buying a kit out of these, and am particularly fond of the WA works. But not that well equipped, moneywise, to be able to afford a dedicated WA lens of Nikon's.

Thus, the question: Are the two lenses in question equal on the WA side?

And - and this might out myself as an ignorant dumbie - what about converters (WA)? Are they a no-no in just every thinkable respect? Or do exist some "to be taken serious" out there?

P
Panurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:44 PM   #2

panurg-

The focal length of your kit lens is a very personal choice. I would prefer the Nikkor 18-135mm lens myself. Yes, there are inexpensive/poor quality convertor lenses, but if you really like quality wide angle shots without a lot of image curvature,, take a look at the highly rated Tokina or Nikor 12-24mm lenses.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:34 PM   #3

Welcome.

Steps on deciding what to buy . . .

1) What do you want to do (shoot)?

2) What is your budget?

3) What equiptment will best accomplish the above?

Best

ps. Most people select the body first, then the lens(es). I recommend the other way around . . .

pps. for most people, resources ARE an issue & building their system takes time. This is not a bad thing. The best way to know what you want/ need is learned through experience with the equipment you('ll) have.

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:01 AM   #4

fastglass wrote:
Quote:
[size="3"]Welcome.

Steps on deciding what to buy . . .

1)* What do you want to do (shoot)?

2)* What is your budget?

3)* What equiptment will best accomplish the above?
As I wrote, the kits are priced alike... Certainly, the 18-135 is bulkier&heavier; but if, in the WA area, it were exactly the same as the 18-70 - well, then why not take "more" for the buck (Euro resp.)? But if someone said that the WA performance of the 18-135 was inferior to the other, I would certainly not hesitate to take the kit with 18-70.
It is just that the longer focal ranges aren't that important to me, since I haven't got my tripod with me all the time.

P
Panurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:57 AM   #5

panurg-

Both of the lenses (the 18-70mm and the 18-135mm) are equally good in the full wide angle, or the 18mm range. I have shot with both of the lenses and both are excellent. My thought was that with the 135mm focal length it might be a bit more useful/utilitarian to have a bit more reach at the 135mm end of the lens.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:12 PM   #6
rey

Here's Thom Hogan's review of the 18-135, at some point he compared it with the 18-70.
http://bythom.com/18135lens.htm

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote