Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1

Could somone tell me if Nikon has a DX format macro lens available for their dslr cameras? If not any recomendations for a macro lens for a D80?

Thanks
Mark
mezark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2

There aren't any Nikon DX macro lenses. I like they 60mm Micro Nikkor I have, but a lot of people suggest a longer lens for greater working distance. I have never tried the other lenses, but the longer ones cost more and weigh more, so I will stick with my 60mm! I have tried close up lenses on longer lenses and find the longer focal lengths more difficult to hand hold than my 60mm.

All the independent manufacturers' lenses seem to be highly rated as well.

Keith.
Attached Images

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:22 AM   #3

Another vote for the Nikon 60mm f2.8 (90mm effective) macro.

Best.
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4
rey

I don't own any macro lenses, but I've read about them. A few that I'm interested in are the Nikon 105VR, Tamron 90mm, and Sigma 150mm. I've read good reviews of them all. It depends on what you wan to shoot. Some insects get scared if you get too close, so a longer reach may be better. Right now I'm saving up with the 105VR in mind.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:03 PM   #5

Thanks all for the help. I had decided to go and purchase the 60mm Micro Nikkor when the salesman at the camera store suggested the Tamron SP AF 90mm Di Macro instead. Anyone have any thoughts on that lens as opposed to the 60mm Nikon. I would mostly be using it for close up macro work but wouldnt mind if it were also nice for portraits.
Thanks again
Mark
mezark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:53 PM   #6

seems that tokina always get left out when it comes to macro lenses. excellent bokeh and def better build quality than other 3rd party manufacturers. autofocus does hunt though but that happens with most other macro lenses as well
clemong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:36 AM   #7

I have 60 mm MicroNikkor and like it very much. I also have the 105VR which I always use. I think the 60mm is an excelent lens. But 105VR is better for flowers and butterflies.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:36 PM   #8

The Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG is worthy of consideration as well. Sharp enough to shave with! The 105mm gives you a lot of room to work with between the end of the lens and the subject, about 20cm or so..
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:01 PM   #9

I would go with the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR!
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:35 PM   #10

clemong888 wrote:
Quote:
seems that tokina always get left out when it comes to macro lenses. excellent bokeh and def better build quality than other 3rd party manufacturers. autofocus does hunt though but that happens with most other macro lenses as well
The Tamron gets high marks from users. USing it on a Nikon gets you 135mm equivalent, which makes it a great portrait tele length. I just bought the Nikon 60mm, and am jhappy with it, although I havent' used it on anything except it's lens cap and my PC mouse.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote