Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:12 AM   #1

hey there guys.

im gonna be in Europe in for about 10 days in end june till 5th July.

some of the places in Rome dont allow Flash photography...

is it a must to have a tripod with a F1.8 or F1.4 lens??

im leaning towards the Sigma 30mmF1.4 on the D200 or should i get a 50mmF1.8?

thanks.

Bryce

snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:33 AM   #2

It depends on what you are shooting. 30mm is considered to be a normal lens while 50mm will be a mild telephoto due to the crop factor. Tripod always helps to get crisp shots particularly with slow shutter speeds.

Sounds like you will be shooting indoors so you have to consider another two things at least:
1. You may not be able to back up enough to frame properly with either lens
2. You may not be able to use a tripod at the venue as they don't like the other guests tripping over the legs in the dark. Sometimes you can get away with a monopod but they are not as stable as a tripod.

There is a dearth of great fast wide angle primes for the Nikon mount unfortunately. Sigma has a couple, 20mm or 24mm @ f/1.8, but the reviews on http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ were not outstanding.

Fact of the matter is most lens manufacturers put more effort in zooms because that's what the market wants.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:58 PM   #3
rey

To repeat what Bob said, a lot of places that do not allow flash, also do not allow tripods.

When I went The Getty museum in L.A. last year, I took my 50 f/1.8 and Tokina 12-24 f/4.

The 50 f/1.8 did well on shooting statues, and the Tokina (@ f/4) did well on shooting paintings and other flat objects, you just need to make sure you are square-off with the painting to avoid distortion.

For capturing indoor architecture, the Tokina will work well, but you'll need more depth of field. One work-around I found of "no tripod rule" is placing my backpack on the floor or on a bench, and putting my camera on top of it, using folded towel or shirt to adjust the angles. Though it may not work on crowded area.

You can checkout my Getty Museum gallery to see some indoor shots of that museum.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:01 AM   #4

thanks for the reply guys...

yeah i think in the museums they not gonna allow tripods...

im not sure about The Louve if they allow flash or tripods....

but at the vatican city, i know in the sisteen chapel there are no flashes allowed when taking pics of the cieling....

i guess ill read through the sites you have posted...and see from there...

thanks again for the info.

ill keep u posted.

Bryce
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:15 AM   #5

snakeman wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the reply guys...

yeah i think in the museums they not gonna allow tripods...

im not sure about The Louve if they allow flash or tripods....

but at the vatican city, i know in the sisteen chapel there are no flashes allowed when taking pics of the cieling....

i guess ill read through the sites you have posted...and see from there...

thanks again for the info.

ill keep u posted.

Bryce

Bryce,

Last time I was in The Louvre (last year August) they didn't allow ANY photography...! Most people do take pictures though...:G

Regarding lenses, I would agree with Bob and rey. 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4/1.8 and a wider 12-24 Tokina...Some of those paintings are LARGE! If you can only afford 1 lense, I would look at either the 12-24 or the 30mm 1.4.

Have a nice trip!

Jacques.

Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:58 AM   #6

hey there guys.

thanks for all the replies.

i think im gonna go with the 30mm F1.4 ...seems like it might come in handy for other normal everyday family indoor shots and so forth and its at a decent price.

:-) :|