Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:47 PM   #1

Hi, I just recently purchased a D40. And I love the camera so far. Now, I realize I abviously do not understand most of the functions this is able to use which is why I chose this camera over the D80. I figure it is a good camera to learn on.

Now I just have the kit lens and I want to get a longer lens for landscape and nature shots. My budget is about $300 for the lens. Maybe a tad more. I am also aware that with the D40 I am restricted to lenses that have the focus motor built into the lens itself.

Any suggestions on what to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yes, also a friend of mine (A D80 owner) wanted me to ask about a telephoto lens for him as well. He will be using it primarily for indoor shots at hockey games so I do know he will need a fast lens for this. I think he has a higher budget so all suggestions for him would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the excelent forums here.

Todd
Toad2479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2

Toad2479 wrot
Quote:
. . . Oh yes, also a friend of mine (A D80 owner) wanted me to ask about a telephoto lens for him as well. He will be using it primarily for indoor shots at hockey games so I do know he will need a fast lens for this. I think he has a higher budget so all suggestions for him would be greatly appreciated . . .
Todd
Welcome to Steve's & Nikon.

Your friend might want to check out the Nikon 80 - 200 f2.8.

I don't have any recommendations for your situation, but I'm sure others will.

Best

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:30 AM   #3

Maybe you should check out the new 55-200 Nikon lens. I believe its in your price

range.
digital demon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:29 PM   #4

$300 is going to put the 55-200mm VR in your sights. If you want longer, I would recommend saving up another $175 and getting the 70-300mm VR.

Stujoe is offline   Reply With Quote