Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1

Hi all,

I followed some suggestions here and bought a D200/Nikon 18/200 from B&H. The package took me by supprised!!!

The lenses was made in Thailand and it was not even VR II as its description.

I took some photo from it...With the minimum zoom, it has some redonthe left and green color on the right object and vice versa for the left object.

Is this typical for a zoom 18/200 lense? or

Is it is because ofpoor qualityand not original?

Should i ship it back to B&H and ask for refund?

I am not a photographer and never took a photography class... I plan to take this class this coming fall...

Hope to hear some of your opinion...

Sincerely thanks,

Long Nguyen
Attached Images

longhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:45 PM   #2

In addition, to the above message...

I have seen a 18/200 VR made in Japan... It looks much nicer from the outside... Is the lense made in Thailand defined as "grey market" item?

Thanks

Long
longhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:24 AM   #3

Both my camera D200 and 18-200mm VRII lens are made in Thailand. Zero problems with them. The lens does creep a bit but nothing that bothers me.

My images are good to excellent and frankly this thread has been hashed out before about the quality of this lens made in Thailand.

I remember the days when buying something from Japan was nothing but junk or at least that was the attitude. I see it happening all over again and frankly I say just send it back and find something else if it is really as bad you feel it is.

B&H does sell grey market and would be upfront in telling you so. The kit you got should have a US warranty and if it does then the lens is not grey market.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4

Don't worry about the "Made in Thailand" sticker on your 18/200 lens. I have a friend that has one "Made in Japan" We compared His against mine and except for the "Made in Sticker" They are both identical. We could not find any difference at all in the build quality or picture performance. (both did a great job)

It has been hashed out on this Forum before.

Even some Hasselblad cameras and a lot of Zeis len'shave beenmade in Thailand or Korea the past few years. Along with other quality brands of Photo equipment.

My 18/200 "VR" lens does everything I need it to do and it does it perfectly. I do everything from Weddings to BillBoards and rarely ever need to use any other lens. The color rendition is perfect on my D200 as well as it is crisp and sharp. My lens and also my D200 were both "Made in Thailand"

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:47 AM   #5

Hi longhn,

I sure can't find fault with the quality of your backyard photograph. It is sharp enough to count the shingles on the roof of the house. I was not there but the colors look very good to me.

I just gotta say, "You have a nice lens"

Ronnie,

I did take the liberty of processing you picture using levels in CS2. 30 seconds and done.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:07 PM   #6

I do not have the 18-200 but my D200 is made in Thailand. It's thebest camera I ever own. My Honda and Toyota are also made in Thailand and they are far better built than my former cars, the Jeep Cherokee and the VW!
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote