Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:57 AM   #1

Hi,
i'm planning a new lens for potrait shot. actually in my mind got 3 lenses which i don't know which to choose. hope somebody here can give me some advice and tell me the good and bad point of the lenses.

1/ nikkor 70-200 VR (this is good because it is zoom lens. more convenience if u need to zoom it. but the bad point of this is the size of the lens. and it is f2.8, enough for potrait?)

2/ Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm F1.4 (know this lens from some forum and website like pbase. it is good because f1.4. size easy to carry. the pic quality is super. but it can't zoom.)

3/ nikkor 85mm f1.4 (same as carl zeiss, maybe the pic quality is slighly lose compare to zeiss but still consider super. the price... if not wrong is cheaper than the above 2 lenses.)

for your info, i'm using D200.

thanks and appreciate for all the reply.

regards,
koshinki

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2

I just use my 18/200 for portraits. I haven't had a complaint yet.

The lighting and posture is more important then the lens.

Ronnie

Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3

Here is another portrait,

Ronnie
Attached Images

Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:07 AM   #4

I think the above post sums it up in that lighting and positioning are very important, but it is the quality of the bokeh that for me makes the difference, and you just can't get that wonderful portrait which really impresses with an aperture of f3.5. You need wider than that to make the person really stand out against the background.

How far do you go though? The 85mm f1.4 is considered fantastic, but soare the 105 and 135 lenses. For my own part it depends on what type of portrait I am doing which changes the lens choice. At a wedding I'll use the 28/70 f2.8 but if it is an outside wedding I have a second body with the 70/200 for those great impromptu candid portraits which are only possible with a longer lens. It is a heavy lens though. Zooms though are versatile.

My choice for you would be the 28/70 f2.8 since it is such a versatile lens, but it isn't very long though. Like Ronnie says, you can get great shots with no matter what lens and really it is the type of portraiture which will affect your choice. If studio the either the 85 f1.4 or 1.8 would be my immediate choice but I would think very hard about the 105 and 135 f2 lenses with defocus control to give that added string to your bow.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:57 AM   #5

I don't know of any lens that is sharp at every stop. Most are soft when used wide open and then begin to soften again due to diffraction around F/13 and smaller. Most lenses are sharpest when stopped down 2-3 stops from their widest aperature.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:12 AM   #6

Hi Koshinki,

The photograph you submitted that was done with your 18/200 "VR" lens looks very nice to me. I took the liberty of showing you how I would have presented Her photo. I will not use it or do anything with it. I just wanted to show you what a little photoshop can do.

I have the 85mm 1.8 Nikon D lens and it is a very good lens for portraits. I also have a Nikon 50mm 1.4D that is good on a digital camera for portraits. I still prefer the convenience of the 18/200 "VR" because of the zoom and I have no trouble with the DOF when My lighting is correct for what I am doing. Both of the pictures I submitted were done with My D200 and 18/200 "VR" lens.

I have a friend that has the Nikon 85mm 1.4 and We can't find any difference at all in the lens quality between my 1.8 & his 1.4 85mm lens looking at a picture of the same subject done with the same camera.

Ronnie
Attached Images

Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:24 AM   #7

I have no experience with the Zeiss, but the fast Nikon 85mm f 1.4 is a nice piece of glass indeed & would be my choice.

Best.

:|
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote