Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:41 AM   #1

I was looking for a longer lens than my current 200 for sports / football and seen this lens advertised for around £80 ? seems a bit cheap! i am relatively new to digital photography and dont have a big budget, i use a D50 with the standard kit lenses but would like to get a bit closer to the action, any feed back would be welcome
colinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:32 PM   #2

The Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED has a decent reputation for a consumer grade lans. See http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php I used to have a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO but found I couldn't handhold it at all and get good results. I finaly traded it in on a Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED and haven't regrettted it. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66 for a sample.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 12:06 PM   #3

Hi Bob

have you tried the vr lens at lower light! ie evening soccer match, or should i say moving action and how does it cope as i dont have the budget for a 2.8 but like the look of this lens,
colinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 3:39 PM   #4

I haven't shot any evening subjects with the lens yet however VR only helps the photographer's motions not the subject's. The only solution to subject motion blur is fast shutter speed which means jacking up the ISO if you don't have a fast lens. Another other option is shooting for peak action such as capturing the jumper at the top of the jump when they aren't moving very much. You can also pan with the subject but the background goes blurred.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 11:19 PM   #5

hey colinl, I also have a D50 and I bought the 70-300mm (not VR) last summer. If you have budget constraints and looking for a cheap lens, this is the ticket!! Great for the price!! However, it IS cheap. Because it's a slow lens, it's hard to get good hand held shots if it's not a sunny day, but bumping up the ISO a little bit helps a bunch. From 200mm to 300mm you will notice some chromatic aberration which seems to get worse the brighter your shot is, but it's not too bad. This one is no where near a pro lens, but GREAT for the price and just fooling around with.
Kylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 11:34 PM   #6

Here is an outdoor, evening soccer game I used it at, worked pretty well.
Attached Images

Kylla is offline   Reply With Quote