Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:58 AM   #1

I am interested to buy a macro lens for my D80 and I would like to get advice about the macro lens from this forum.

I found a topic of macro lens for D80 recently in this forum. But I am not sure I should ask my qustions in that topic or post as a new topic.

From those posts,I have read some good suggestions of:

Nikkon 105mm Vr macro
Nikkon 60mm Macro lens.
Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro 1:1
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG
Sigma 150mm
and Tokina (Tokina AT-X Pro D 100mm f/2.8 (M100) Macro)

Nikkor 105 mm VR is the best but it is too expensive for me.

Nikkor 60mm macro lens is also good lens but I would like to have a longer reach so I won't scare the insects when taking a macro shot.

So I am now considering 3 inexpensive macro lenses.

1) Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro 1:1

2) Tokina AT-X Pro D 100mm f/2.8 (M100) Macro

3) Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG

150mm Macro lens are heavy and longer than others and also out of my pocket so I will select one of 90mm,100mm and 105mm lenses from above 3 brands.

I heard that Sigma lens has better contrast and Tamron and Tokina lenses provide you natural colour (like Canon).

Anyone who has experience with these lens, please make some suggestions and some sample photos of macro shots taking with these lenses.

Are these 90/100/105 mm mcro lenses difficult to hand hold?

Please advice me what macro lens should I buy for my D80.

Thank you in advance for any inputs.

chwin

chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:54 PM   #2

I've had the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG for about a month now and found it very sharp. Too sharp maybe as my wife was upset at seeing dust on the figurines I was using to test the lens!

I put the D70s in AF-C autofocus mode to compensate for me swaying back and forth a bit. I also use the SB-600 Speedlight either direct with the 14mm diffuser panel or upright with a Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer to illuminate. The D70s is in Manual 1/250 and f/11 so the flash provides all the light and being such a short burst of light I don't worry about camera shake. Best results between f/8 and f/11.

The lens may hunt a bit in dim light, which is no surprise.

I'm anxious for the spring flowers to come up so I can start shooting them!

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:13 PM   #3

Quick sample with simple treatment in PSE 5.0
Attached Images

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:49 AM   #4

I am new to Nikon, but I will pass on my observations anyway. KM shooters who have the Tamron 90mm love it. I looked at the Nikon 105VR, 105D and 60D before buying. I went with the 60 based on many recommendations from other Nikon shooters.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5

Bob, thank youfor your input and nice sample. Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG is a sharp lens. Ishould have to consider this lens.

"The lens may hunt a bit in dim light, which is no surprise."

All the lenses which I mentioned in my previous post have max aperturef/2.8 so all of these may have the same problem in the dim light situation.

Anyway, Look forward to seeing spring flowers shots with your new sigma macro lens. Happy shooting.

Cope, thank you for your input. nikkon 60mm is very good macro lens too.it has many recommendations from other users.And I saw some nice photos on the forums. But for me, I think 60mm range is not the one that suit me as i need the longer distance for insect/bug shots. So I need to consier the 90mm tamron, 100mm tokina and Sigma 105mm which all are in the mid distance range and in my budget range too.

I went to the camera shop this evening to compare the 3 brands. The shop has only tokina 100mm macro lens for Nikon. They haveTamron 90mm but it is for canon mount. They just sold out the sigma 105mm macro.
So Itried totestmacro shotswiththe tokina 100 mm f/2.8 macroand my D80. I am pleased withthis tokina "out of the box" results and I am now thinking about buying Tokina AT-X Pro D 100mm f/2.8 (M100) Macro.

But I am not a pro and I haven't had an experience with a macro shots with DSLR before so I would like to have what other people think about tokina lens.

Waiting for any inputs on tokina....(the good, the bad and the urgly!)

chwin
chwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6

I see you asked about non nikon lenses.

The nikon cameras are good but why people buy them is there lenses.

Of the lenses you mentioned I own them all and hands down the 105 f2.8VR lens macro or micro as Nikon calls it, is the best macro lens I have ever used. even better than Leica and Zeiss lenses I have used in the past.

Plus the VR is very useful in the field for insects and small moving subjects as it corrects for the body movement as we are trying to hold still enough to take the picture. For other macro subjects on a copy stand or tripod I turn the VR off as it is not needed.

The build quailty of the 105 is excellent...try one in a camera store as once yu try it you will buy it.

geyer is offline   Reply With Quote