Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:50 AM   #1

Hi folks. This might be in the wrong thread but bear with me and you'll see how I'm confused.

I'm buying my first DSLR in the next week and I've narrowed it down to two - the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10D. I like the idea of the bells & whistles on the Pentax but I also appreciate these are often just more things to go wrong. I think dust reduction systems are a good idea but I'm cynical that they actually work 100%. If they don,t being a perfectionist I'll be cleaning it properly anyway so what's the point in the added mechanical complication. That's what leads me away from the K10D to the D80. Another advantage the D80 has is a switchable grid in the viewfinder. Why all cameras don't have this option is beyond me.

My wife & I are going to Corsica in 5 weeks time and I'd really like to have the new camera and one lens before then. I would say 70% of my shots are landscapes and the other 30% is mainly general sigh-seeing, both urban and rural. I'm thinking I need a small fast wide zoom, something like a 15-70?

Which ONE lens should I buy for this usage? I have £1000 to spend and if I get the D80 body for £529 leaving a maximum of £470 for a lens. I've looked at the kit options and researched those lenses but they don't seem all that good. I know Tamron and Sigma make lenses but I don't know if any of them are any better than the Nikon kit lenses. I also read that there's some kind of operational limitations when using third-party lenses with the D40. Does this also apply to the D80?

A lot of questions, I know. I thought it was going to be easy to pick a camera but it's turning into a nightmare. So many options.

Any help is greatly appreciated folks.

Thanks for listening.
zorrofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:33 AM   #2

Hi - if deciding the Nikon route, I recommend the Nikkor 18-200VR. Recently travelled thoughout Finland and kept this lens on my camera for 95% of the time. Wide angle / range.... and it's all in a very compact lens and as a bonus you have a vibration reduction facility. For fast lens situations you can also bump up the ISO values onboard the camera.

Enjoy your vacation in Corsica.

Cheers - Herman
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:38 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply Herman. I've looked at your lens and it looks great but I read a lot about 'lens creep'. I intend to have the camera on my shoulder most of the time and so I assume I'me going to be walking around all the time with the lens fully extended (if the camera is pointing down). How do you find your lens in this respect? Do all long lenses suffer from this problem or is it specific to the Nikkor?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4

Hi - the lens creep only occurs when the lens is partially extended. When in the retracted position it does not creep. This issue doesen't really bother me much as my camera does not face downwards when carrying around due to the additional weight of the optional battery-grip.

Cheers - Herman
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:31 AM   #5

Hi again. Well, after taking all the advice from here and other forums I changed things around a bit. I've ordered the Nikon D80 with an Nikkor 18-135mm zoom, optional battery grip, two SD cards, spare battery & UV filter. This lot kept the price under £1000 so the wife's happy and the battery grip should cure the slight handling problems I had with the D80. The lens isn't the fastest but it is the optimum choice for my upcoming Corsican adventure and I'll see what I can get later in the year.

Why go for Nikon? Well, simply put, I can't stand the control layout and handling on the Canon D400. I know in a lot of respects it's a superior camera but it's flaws are important to me. The lack of any anti-dust device is mitigated by the fact I'll have only the one lens anyway so the camera won't be 'open' very often. The Pentax K10D was in the running for a while and the prices are really good for what you get but... I went around a few forums and began to hear of problems regarding reliability and quality control. I suppose this happens quite often when brand new products hit the shelves and I've had my fingers burned as an early adopter before, too many times actually. So that's why the Nikon. I figure it's been around long enough for any firmware or production problems to have been ironed out.

Let me thank you all for the help and advice. It really is very much appreciated.

Now, who owns a D80 so I can pick their brains, lol.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:34 PM   #6

zorrofox wrote:
Quote:
Why go for Nikon? Well, simply put, I can't stand the control layout and handling on the Canon D400.
I can second that opinion. I used Minolta for over 30 years, and I can tell you that both Canon and Nikon could learn a lot about ergonomics from Minolta, but Canon needs to at least study what Nikon is doing. I only had to hold a 30 D for a minute to know I didn't want one. Congratulations on your new camera, you will enjoy it.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:04 PM   #7

I have both the D80 and the 18-135 lens and also the 70-300 VR lens.The18-135 isvery sharp and I use it often. It is definitely sharper than my 70-300 and sharper than pictures posted with the 18-200. IMHO.

It's a great lens for your vacation.
atomhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 12:00 AM   #8

I have a D80 and D50

I got the D50 with the 2 kits lens 18-55 and 55-200 and got the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens. I also have the most popular 18-200 VR and it has been on my D80 almost sicne I have had it.

I find the 18-135 almost as good as the 18-200VR and I really cant tell that much differance in the quality of them. Sure not the $600 differance that I paid for them.

Sure it is nice to have a 18-200VR as a walk around lens, but the 18-135 is 95% as good.

I am debating weather to sell my 18-200 and getting something a little faster maybe like the Nikon 18mm f/2.8 or maybe the 80-200 f/2.8, or maybe I might try the 70-300VR lens

I think the extra zoom would be nice and I could use the 18-135 for the wide angle and 90% of the time.

What does some of you experts think?

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote