Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:33 PM   #1

I've been looking at investing in a teleconverter, but I have become confused as to which one is best, and if I should use one at all. Some articles I have read say that TC's will not work with my lenses, others say they will. Other articles say you should only use a TC with prime lenses. I've become very confused!

I have a Nikon D50 with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G ED&55-200mm f4-5.6G ED kit lenses and aTamron 70-300mm f4-5.6.

All comments and help appreciated!

wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:35 PM   #2

Assuming you'll be using a TC with your longest lenses at full zoom, any TC will put you past the point where the camera will be able to autofocus, as you lose light when using a TC. You'll also magnify any optical issues these lenses already have and are likely already visible without the TC. TC's work best with sharp fast primes, and are marginal at best with less expensive consumer zooms.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:40 AM   #3

As indicated, use of a TC will have some issues of AF and IQ degradation but the following chart may assist in evaluating compatibility of TC use w/various lenses...

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf

Keep in mind that the lens' inherent IQ is the place to start -- poor initial IQ of a lens w/o TC will not be improved. Best to start w/good IQ lens before considering adding a TC... Since a prime is usually starting w/good IQ, TC usage with it will be much better than a poor zoom IQ + TC. That's not to say, though, that a good IQ zoom can't/won't afford good IQ w/a TC -- it just takes good technique, good lighting/contrastand good initial IQ of the base lens.

I have a Sigma 1.4X APO DG TC that fits/works (Manual Focus only) with my Bigma but won't even mount to my 18-70 or Tamron 70-300 LD. I have a Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC on its way to use on the Bigma as its reported to allow AF in good light... I'd suggest first looking at obtaining a good IQ longer lens first. Some of the moderately priced candidates to get to 500mm are the Nikon 300 f/4 + TC; Tamron 200-500 Di or the Bigma 50-500. Good deals on used models can be had for $550-750...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
I have a Sigma 1.4X APO DG TC that fits/works (Manual Focus only) with my Bigma but won't even mount to my 18-70 or Tamron 70-300 LD. I have a Kenko Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC on its way to use on the Bigma as its reported to allow AF in good light... I'd suggest first looking at obtaining a good IQ longer lens first. Some of the moderately priced candidates to get to 500mm are the Nikon 300 f/4 + TC; Tamron 200-500 Di or the Bigma 50-500. Good deals on used models can be had for $550-750...
Hi - I'd be very interested in feedback regarding the Kenko Pro 300 DG teleconverter after you start using it. I also have the Bigma and am most interested....

Thanks & cheers - Herman
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:20 PM   #5

hauer54 wrote:
Quote:
Hi - I'd be very interested in feedback regarding the Kenko Pro 300 DG teleconverter after you start using it. I also have the Bigma and am most interested....

Thanks & cheers - Herman
Herman-

According to Brian over at Nikonians, he's shot >3,000 images using the Kenko w/his Bigma with success at f/8- f/11 in good light...

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCF.../16475.html#20

My Kenko is coming from Kea-Photo in Hong Kong so it'll probably be a week or so in transit...

Since I shoot mostly BIF, the Sigma TC's manual focus is a tad limiting for my style. I'll probably try some comparison images between the two and, if comparable and the Kenko does AF in the good light I'm usually shooting in, I'll probably put the Sigma on the market... I'll post after receipt and testing...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:02 AM   #6

Looking at your list of lenses, it appears that you would need a faster lens for a 2x TC. I have a Nikon TC-20e and it works just fine with my 70-200 f/2.8 and my 17-55 f/2.8. It doesn't work so well with my 17-200 VR2. The rule of thumb is that you need at least f/5.6 for reliable autofocusing. You might be able to use the TC-14 as you might be able to get away with an f/4 lens.

The TC-20 and the TC-14 were designed for the newer AF-I and AF-S lenses. The TC-20E is quite a piece of glass.

Caution, be careful if you try to mount a non-AF-I or non-AF-S lens as there is a lug on the female side of the mount that prevents it.
cfujii is offline   Reply With Quote