Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:59 AM   #11

slapo wrote:
Quote:
I have also had little to no trouble with the Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG macro.

My only complaint would be the focus speed, it would be nice if it were a bit faster, but it's definitely not too bad.

A small sample:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/...15d7a1ef_o.jpg (D50 and the Sigma).

Question for those who have / have had both of the lens (this Sigma and the VR Nikkor) is the AF faster on the Nikkor? If so, by how much (approximately)?

Thanks in advance

I dont have the APO, but I have read people in forums easily turning down the APO when it is up againts Nikon VR. But hey, everyone has a budget. Not everyone can afford a good VR lens

However reading a lot of people's reviews, including Bob Nichol here. I made up my mind to skip the Sigma APO, I was about to buy it but after reading so much good things about the VR, I just save up for it.

I have to say the VR lens is pretty fast and it has taken some of my best shots. Is not just how fast, is about the sharpness too, I feel that at 300mm the pictures are very passable. To me this is the last lens in line to be able to hand held comfortable enought to shoot in difficult situations. I cant find really any weaknesses if you try to judge the lens fairly. I know the price is way a bit more, but the results came back positive. If you can save up for this, go for it.

nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:06 AM   #12

Hi I have a question for Bob and anyone who has a 70-300 VR lens. What other lens do you have for the shorter range. I'm thinking of buying the D80 and I'm trying to figure out what lenses to get with it. I've been told of the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, but looking at my budget I was also thinking for 18-70 or 18-135. Thanks for any info.
wet coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:14 PM   #13

I have the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR DX 18-70MM F3.5-4.5G IF ED and the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC for ultra wide action. The Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro rounds out my stable.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:23 PM   #14

Thanks for the info, are you happy with the 18-70? Also what are your thoughts on the Tamron lens I mentioned?
wet coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:55 PM   #15

The Nikon 18-70mm gives me great results so I'm pleased with it.

I've never used the Tamron lens you mention so have no opinion. Have a look at the ratings at http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php for guidance.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote