Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1

So I sold my Nikkor 70-300 to try and get a Sigma 70-300 APO. I have been outbid a few times on this lens in the last minute or so. Some people just can't bid until the last 30 seconds. My main goal is to stay in the same range, but I want a decent macro ability as well. Looking at Ebay I found a Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro. The Simga appears nice and the APO draws me in, but is it really worth it? Is there another option for around the same price of the Sigma and Tamron? Is the Tamron a nice lens?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

anm8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:52 AM   #2

I got a Sigma 70 300APO off EBay for $140 shipped (used), although I had the same problem as you trying to win the auction. The lens is pretty good for the price. I am saving my money for a Nikon 70 300 VR ($500). Good luck with Ebay.

Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:13 AM   #3

I had the Sigma 70-300mm APO. It worked well but I couldn't hand hold it well enough and finally traded it in on a Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IF-ED. Follow the link to a sample!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 8:21 PM   #4

Well it looks like I finally got the Sigma. I was almost willing to get the non-APO version new. But I decided to try one more time to see what happened. It must be a good day to buy. Friday Evening everyone else is out and about. I will give it a shot and post a pic comparing my old Nikkor and the new Sigma.

I also bought a Nikon N50 with a 2x Kalimar converter. I know it wont be the best quality, but I wanted to play with it. And i got a good deal on it. Also managed to sell the N50 body for part of what I paid so I didnt really pay to much after that.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:26 AM   #5

I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro under my bed waiting for me to get the motivation to Ebay it. I recently got the Nikon 70-300mm VR and I absolutely love it. If you want a 70-300mm lens, the Sigma is pretty good for the price but I am glad I replaced mine with the Nikon VR version. The lens is great color, contrast and sharpness and the VR really changed the conditions I can use it in.
Stujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 10:50 PM   #6

Hello,

SoI have been playing with the Sigma 70-300APO and I have to admit I am less them impressed. I also noticed the corners are quite dark on my pictures. The one I attached I took to show this off. Is this typical of the lens? It seems to shoot really dark pictures unless the sun is glaring. In case the exif is not there i will put the specs below.

300mm, F/5.6, 1/2000, Center Weighted Average.I know the Nikon 70-300 did not do this. The VR looks really nice, but it's $500 (if you can find it) and this was $140. Big difference but it seems like if I want any kind of quality thats what I have to do.
Attached Images

Old May 4, 2007, 8:21 PM   #7

Here’s one I took today with a Nikkor 70 300mm VR.

Thanks
Jeff
Attached Images

jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 8:33 PM   #8

Heres a example of a 70-300vr photo i took yesterday . My first with this lense. If you can , save up and get it .
Attached Images

Knight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:00 PM   #9

Hi i have to agree if money is no object then the Nikon is the choice, however the sigma apo is a very capable tool for the money, i have not yet suffered any problems you have described!! here's a pic taken a few weeks ago. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:59 AM   #10

I have also had little to no trouble with the Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG macro.

My only complaint would be the focus speed, it would be nice if it were a bit faster, but it's definitely not too bad.

A small sample:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/...15d7a1ef_o.jpg (D50 and the Sigma).

Question for those who have / have had both of the lens (this Sigma and the VR Nikkor) is the AF faster on the Nikkor? If so, by how much (approximately)?

Thanks in advance
slapo is offline   Reply With Quote