Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 22, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1

Hi, I'm looking for a fast indoor lens. I have a limited budget and I was originally set on buying the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 but I've been reading up and heard the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is also very sharp. What I want to know is will 50mm's be a wide enough angle?? I'm going to be taking lots of indoor shots in low lighting but I'm beginning to think 50mm is not wide enough for family portraits in confined spaces. If I wasn't so worried about the price, I'd probably go for the sigma 30mm, but I need some convincing. I want to hear all your opinions and personal preferences!! THANKS!!!
Kylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2007, 2:20 AM   #2

50mm will be an absolute waste of time indoors. I use the 17/55 and the 12/24 but between the two lenses you quote there is no choice - it has to be the Sigma. Remember that with the crop factor 30=45mm and 50=75mm which is not at all ideal. In the old days I used a 35mm indoors so my personal view for you would be to buy the Tokina 12/24. You'll just love it at the price.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 5:54 PM   #3

Thanks cameranserai, exactly the advice I was looking for!
Kylla is offline   Reply With Quote