Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 27, 2007, 1:02 AM   #1

70 300 VR + Kenko PRO 1.4

First day testing my 70-300mm VR + Kenko PRO 300 DG 1.4x Tele Converter. I have read several reviews with this combo working well together. Most stated you would need good light to get good IQ. It didn't take long for me to figure that out! It was a partly cloudy day and hazy (smoky) from the fires in Florida, although adequate lighting, so I thought. Locking focus on a BIF was quit a challenge to say the least. Taking 10 to 15 seconds to lock focus in some cases and complete failure in most. Static subjects were not much faster although it did lock focus. I tried manual with better success. Hopefully there will be more sun and less smoke tomorrow.

Thanks for looking
Jeff
Attached Images

jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2

I'll look forward to more of your results as I'm experimenting with this combination, too. My results aren't as good as that photo you posted, but it's been fun trying.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:15 PM   #3

WOW i would say your first capture is superb I also have the VR70-300mm and i have just added the Kenko 1.4X to the top of my list of things to get. Post some more as soon as you get a chance.:-)
Knight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 1:42 PM   #4

I've gad the Nikon 70-300mm VR + Kenko PRO 300 DG 1.4x Tele Converter combo for several weeks now and while I don't use it for every shot I'm very pleased with the results.
Attached Images

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 4:25 PM   #5

Remember this is 1 of 50 shots taken and 20 shots missed because I could not lock focus.

When doing the math 1 good image out of 50 is unacceptable, not to mention the missed opportunities.
For BIF I will crop instead, Kenko is to sloooow.

Thanks for looking
Jeff
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote