Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1
ww

hello everyone, i'm just wondering if you guys have anything special that you do when you purchase a new lens? i am getting the 70-300 vr ed afs nikon soon and i'd love to hear any ideas - tips - etc. i'm a hobbiest/advanced amature wanabe. i like landscapes - wildlife - micro -maybe more. thanks for any replys, ww
ww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2

Mount the camera and lens on a tripod and shoot a series at all zoom settings as marked on the ring and all major f/stops. Turn off the VR when on a tripod. Use a target such a a brick wall and ensure you are at right angles to the wall. Load the images on your computer and examine each one at 100% look for out of focus or uneven focus. The corners are always a bit softer then the center but it shouldn't be excessive.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:03 PM   #3
ww

thanks BOB, thats exactly the type of answer i was seeking. nice forum y'all got here!:-)
ww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:43 AM   #4

Another test is front/back focus. This is from Minolta, but is still applicable.

The AF system might be causing the focus to shift in front or behind the subject. You can do a quick test to determine this. We recommend photographing three cereal boxes or similar items (cake mix, etc) on your kitchen table. We recommend these because they provide a flat plane with fine detailed print that make focusing and determination of focus point easier (the back of the box might be the most detailed).

Place one box in the center of the table make sure it is parallel to the camera's image sensor. Place another box parallel to the first box and in front of it about 1 inch in front and slide to the right to so that you can see most of the first box. Place the third box 1 inch behind and parallel to the center box and move it to the left. Framing all three, you should be able to see most of all three boxes. Use center focus to focus on the middle box. Take a shot with a shutter speed of at least 60 and lens aperture at the widest opening. Observe the shot. Is the center box the sharpest and the front and back boxes un-sharp? Is the front or back box sharper than the center box or is the sharpness of the front or back box nearly equal to the center box? If the very first case, the center is sharpest, the camera is OK. If either the front or back is sharper, the camera needs adjustment.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote