Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 15, 2007, 6:51 AM   #1

I am leaning towards my first professional range lens, and this has always been in my list since 17-35mm F2.8 was out and now the dedicated 17-55mm DX.

My question is if you have the cash, is this lens really what you pay for or the Tamron just do it just as good? Seeing that Tamron is only 1/3 the price for the 17-50mm DII F2.8

I love to take wide angle and I find myself using it constantly, currently I am using my 18-135mm, but would just love to go that further one step to live my dream lens. I know this lens is heavy, and is probably what some people might complain about.

Should I or Should I not go for this lens? Or is there another coming out soon that I do not know about? As many have requested for a VR version.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:22 AM   #2

Well I guess I will find out when I finally get a copy in soon. Prices on Ebay for this piece is ridiculas, they cost more than some online stores! I am surprise that some people do not do the research before bidding.

Anyway I hope this lens will be up to my expectations.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi I'm not a Nikon user so have not played with this lens, but check out the review at http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...5_28/index.htmwhich might help you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:03 AM   #4

Hi, Just wondering have you considered the Nikon 12-24mm constant f/4, if you wanted to go wider it definitely is wider and should fit in nice with your 18-135mm,
just a thought !
Steve.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:26 PM   #5

Yes I wasn't thinking about going wider and the 17-55mm lens is probably my last lens for the year or even years to come. I choose this lens over the wider one because I felt I needed the 55mm coverage but not as much as to go wider. I know the results of the 12-24mm for wide angle range is excellent. Many architectural photographers choose this over the 17-55mm. I have read about the slight distortions but again I am no Pro photographer either to look into finest details, and these errors can be fixed easily as I read.

I am just waiting for B&H to ship the lens to me. To me at the price they have offered, plus 5 years warranty, is something I feel safe about purchasing. On top that this lens is like the best zoom lens for Wide angle, I choose it because of its quality and great reviews that most people gave. Some of the pictures that the people took with this lens is breath taking. When I owned a flim Nikon SLR, the 17-35mm was kind of out of reach as I was only a student and could only dream about it. Now that I am working and it cost nearly my months salary but I think in terms of long term is worth it.

I have to admit, I was thinking about the 12-24mm or the Tamron 17-50mm they are all good lens as well especially the Tamron at half the price.