Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:11 PM   #1

I just got a D40 along with the kit lens and the 55-200mm VR for Father's Day. Can anyone recommend a low light prime lens or macro? Autofocus is nice but I can live without it (but autoexposure or metering would be nice.) Want to spend between $100-200.
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2007, 3:52 PM   #2

I think the most recommended, inexpensive lens you can get for your budget would be the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. You'll have to manually focus but other than that should work fine. I've had one for a year and a half and I love it. You can probably get one on Ebay for well under a hundred. Most macros will be slightly higher than you indicate your budget to be...but you can save up a little bit Good luck.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:39 PM   #3

goomer wrote:
Quote:
I think the most recommended, inexpensive lens you can get for your budget would be the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. You'll have to manually focus but other than that should work fine. I've had one for a year and a half and I love it. You can probably get one on Ebay for well under a hundred. Most macros will be slightly higher than you indicate your budget to be...but you can save up a little bit Good luck.
I looked on eBay and on Sunday I bought an E series Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens for $20. It won't autofocus or meter but it will be fun to use. I found a group on Flickr where everyone uses a D40 and old lenses where all control in manual. They produce some incredible pictures.
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:10 PM   #4

:-)I have a 50 1.8, and I don't have to manual focus. Am I missing something?
jcdotcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:12 PM   #5

:-)Sorry; just noticed the D40 bit; I have a D80.
jcdotcalm is offline   Reply With Quote