Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1

Hi ,,

To all members here and I wish to beaccepted to you as a guest whostill under training of photography :roll: , I'v been amature photography for 4 years my first digicam was Minolta A1 and later A2 then moved to D80 with a set of lenses and some accessories ( 80-200 2.8 AF-S + 17-35 2.8 AS-S ED + 18-70 3.5-4.5 dx + 18-200 3.5-5.6 vr + 75-300 sigma ) also an sb800 and other 2 old flashes 28 and 20 , don't surprise of this mix set up coz some of them I had them as a second hand and it was a reasonable deal and others (DX) lenses bought them recently ,,,

Hence , I have a question for users of the mentioned lense 18-200 vr , Idid a quick test for both 18-70 and 18-200 dx and found that the angle of view of the18-200 is narower than18-70on the same focallength ! the test was on 18mm and 70mm and both was narower on 18-200 lense !! any idea why ? the only deference was the vr lense has a uv filter mounted !

If any one interested in the test pics So I can upload them here .

Best regards ,

ViolinMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:15 AM   #2

Hi there, thats because the 18-70mm has less distortion compared to the 18-200mm lens. The 18-200mm VR has been one of the most overrated lens. I am not saying is bad though, I am saying is a good all in one walk around lens, but if you want better shots you have to really go into other lenses.

I have been wrong about the 18-70mm myself, but looking at test results, such lens as the 18-70mm are really quite good! The longer the barrel the more distortion the lens have to deal with at different focal length especially with any wide angle start lens. Even my 17-55mm DX have distortions till 24mm but overall the quality is really dead sharp.

Likewise the 18-135mm is not much better than the 18-70mm, I would say is a give and take kind of thing, as the 18-200mm has VR while the rest do not. Then again, I would have been happy for my case to use 18-70mm plus 70-300mm VR lens.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:38 AM   #3

Here you go, I like this URL as it clearly shows test results for each lens and the distortions.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56vr/index.htm

For the rest of the Nikon lenses

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

I have seen some reviews done by others and is some way you can read the language as bias, which is often is a turn off. 18-200mm VR is a pretty good all round lens but you find that certain lenses which are cheaper can perform better at certain range, which is fair enough. A Note though, 18-200mm is just so easy to carry around for anything.

I have 3 lenses, 18-135mm, 70-300mm VR and the 17-55mm DX, I currently use 17-55mm for any shot and the 70-300mm for any close ups. Ultimately if I like shooting nature flowers and bees I might go 105mm macro. My 18-135mm will be on ebay soon if I feel that I am not using it enough.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:43 AM   #4

Hi ,,

I didn't want to disagree withanyone from my first post , However I do :-),,

Quoted : (thats because the 18-70mm has less distortion compared to the 18-200mm lens)

I belive there is nothing to do with distortion in this case, it'sa matter of angel of view .

My humple test that I did with 18-70 and 18-200 shows cleary the superiority of the 18-200 upon the 18-70 in f4 / 5 / 7.1 / 9 / and11 on 18mm. sharper better contrast and almost same noiseif there is .

Appreciat your reply .

Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:16 AM   #5

Well as long as you are happy.

I have read enough reviews on this lens where people give top ratings simply because is an all in one lens while some do know what are the real cons of it.

This lens creeps, and the distortion is among the highest in the wide angle nikon range :roll:.

But it also the most popular and greatly defended till someone gets a better lens. I personally feel this lens should be cheaper and less distortion, at least to current 18-70mm lens standard. Thats my opinion anyway, but I know the 18-200mm VR is a sharp lens, thats without a doubt.

Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:42 AM   #6

Actually am notthat happy with itthat is why am posting the above ,my main concern is what I mentioned .

Am not trying to say that it's a legend lense in all manner , However my big question is why am not having 18mm equivalent on 18-200 lense !!! am I the only one who has this ? If SO I must get back to Nikon !! .

Regards,
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:38 AM   #7

oh so sorry, didnt mean to annoy you or anything but have it checked out on another camera to see if there is any difference? Could be a bad copy. I just wanted to let you know that this lens has distortion issues on the wide end not to mention vignetting as well. However the pluses were that its quite flare free.

Depending on what aperature you shooting but F8 should have similiar results?