Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I'm considering the D80 or the D200 (or it's replacement...in other words I'm not in a hurry...already have a digicam to shoot with). And was wondering how the Nikkor 18-200 compares to the new Tamron 18-250.

Thanks.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:05 AM   #2

About the only lens I've ever seen that can hold a candle to a similar Nikkor is the Tokina 12/24. Just remember that Nikon build up to a quality and the others down to a price.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3

I just make it brief, if you intend not to carry your tripod, have money to blow, go for Nikon 18-200mm VR as is an overall good travel lens.

However if you intend to save money, and you use your tripod anyway like a professional then the VR does not matter much.

Good points about Nikon 18-200mm VR, great evidence of photos taken from a lot of people, good range in zoom. VR helps for no tripod ability, overall a great lens for travelling.

Down points, Lens distortion is higher than average but is fixable, Lens creep can be really irritating. Price is also much higher than a lot of wannabies lenses.

For travelling this is my first choice unless you do not mind lens changing and you already got all the range covered.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:40 PM   #4

nexusworks wrote:
Quote:
I just make it brief, if you intend not to carry your tripod, have money to blow, go for Nikon 18-200mm VR as is an overall good travel lens.

However if you intend to save money, and you use your tripod anyway like a professional then the VR does not matter much.

Good points about Nikon 18-200mm VR, great evidence of photos taken from a lot of people, good range in zoom. VR helps for no tripod ability, overall a great lens for travelling.

Down points, Lens distortion is higher than average but is fixable, Lens creep can be really irritating. Price is also much higher than a lot of wannabies lenses.

For travelling this is my first choice unless you do not mind lens changing and you already got all the range covered.
I most likely won't be carrying a tripod. Monopod? Maybe. But, the chances of thst is fairly slim as well. So having a VR lens is a good idea. Or a lens with "image stabalization". Assuming i don't buy a Nikkor lens and go with a Tokina, Sigma or Tamron.

And I have read the reviews. That is partly why I'm considering other travel lens manufaturers. But it seems they all share similar drawbacks. Though, The Tamron is allegedly better throughout the focal range. In terms of distortion and what not. I was just wondering if any Nikionians have used the Tameron 18-250.

Any how, I'm not in a hurry to get my DSLR. I'm just researching right now.

Thanks for your input.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:44 AM   #5

nexusworks wrote:
Quote:

"Lens creep can be really irritating." Lens creep is not a problem withthe latestmodel. I got mine 2 months ago, the lens has no creep atall. Nikon dealer here saidNikonhad change the plastic ring and solve the problem. A very good lens, I use it most of the time while my other lenses are usually in the dry cabinet!

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
nexusworks wrote:
Quote:

"Lens creep can be really irritating." Lens creep is not a problem withthe latestmodel. I got mine 2 months ago, the lens has no creep atall. Nikon dealer here saidNikonhad change the plastic ring and solve the problem. A very good lens, I use it most of the time while my other lenses are usually in the dry cabinet!

Unfortunately you do not know unless you are at the shop, in which if you buy online, best of luck. I am not saying this lens is bad, but it shouldnt be a problem in the first place. Because of it, I did not recommend this to my dad as I felt lens creep for such an expensive lens is bad.

By far this is the most well known Travel lens, and I can't argue with that.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote