Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1

I'm going to sell my 70-300VR lens, it's a great lens, I've only had it for less than 2 months, but I think my previous time with superzooms has spoiled me for convenience. My wife has my Fuji S6000 now, and while were out taking pictures, I admit I'm jealous that she can go from wide angle to max zoom in a quick second while I"m busy trying to change lenses. I'm think I'm going to save up and get on a waiting list for the 18-200. I've debated a lot mentally about this, I hate to lose that last 100mm of zoom and the 300 is a sharp nice lens but I've found I hardly even use it much. Seems some of us have DSLR's just for the performance but are really P&S'-ers at heart

Any thoughts, should I put it on ebay? What's the best way to sell a lens? It's basically brand new, I have the box and packing and all that so don't want to sacrifice too much. Thanks for any advice!

Ron
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 1:45 PM   #2

Ron,

What about getting a 2nd hand body from ebay? this way you don't have to loose money selling your lens and getting a new one.something like a D40/50 will do just fine for wide angle work

Nick
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:07 PM   #3

That is a good idea, but just not sure if I want to have two cameras around my neck all the time and two to upload from. I guess I just have my sites on a single camera with one 'good enough, do it almost all' lens

I think maybe I will stick the lens on Ebay then? Is there where most of you guys sell your lenses?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:28 PM   #4

i mostly sell to friends or ebay. keep in mind that a new 70-300 vr is about $500 delivered on ebay.You will get about $350-400max for it if its in like new condition.Looking at completed auctions i can't see a 2nd hand one being sold recently. The 2nd camera can stay in your bag untill you need it its not that heavy anyway.
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:16 PM   #5

Thanks, yes 400 is about what I figured too and yes, it's in perfect new condition.

re second camera: True, but what I'm trying to do, is when I do walk abouts, just have a camera around my neck and no bag to tote around. No lens changing, no having to switch anything. Just twist the zoom and be ready
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:55 PM   #6

Highway wrote:
Quote:
II'm think I'm going to save up and get on a waiting list for the 18-200.
Why the waiting list?

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54....htm?bct=t1134

In stock at $749.99 (got mine last week).
dwaldmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:57 PM   #7

I have just been seeing most have it in stock now

How do you like it so far?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:45 AM   #8

If you will look around you will see that getting a 18-200 is not as hard to do as it was a few months ago

I saw a few days ago that onecall.com had it for $749 and it was instock.

I also saw that B&H had it for the same price and was in stock

Shop around or do liek I did buy it off ebay

I got mine off Ebay back in January and paid $799 for it, but I have really enjoyed having it and it is awesoem for a walk around lens

I was thinking about getting the 70-300 VR also for the extra 100mm but I think I will wait until I can afford a 80-400VR

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Administrator

Be careful with Ebay vendors though. If it's a gray market lens (one that was not intended for sale in the country you live in), Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service (and they'll be able to tell by the serial number).

A lot of the Nikon gear you see for sale from Ebay vendors is gray market. So, stick to Authorized Nikon Dealers that offer a Nikon USA factory warranty if you want to make sure you can get a lens serviced later. Often, vendors will make misleading statements in their listings (for example "1 Year USA warranty"), when they mean a store warranty (that may not be worth the paper it's written on since they can't get parts and don't have the expertise needed to correct issues).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:47 AM   #10

Yes JimC I totally agree with you
Iam sorry that I forgot to mention that in my previous post

I always make sure I am not getting a grey market product.

If you will go to B&H they seel alot of grey market stuff, but they always tell you it is grey market and I always make sure I am getting a USA warrenty with everything I buy

Always check out the people feedback and then still be careful who you buy from.

I have had very good luck buying from Ebay but I have heard reports of nighmares also, so tread carefully and investigate and don't be over zealous when getting ready to buy or bid on something

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote