Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:34 AM   #1

Would a 70-300mm AF lens be a bad idea for a beginner who can't afford an AF-S lens? I could afford a 55-200mm AF-S but i think that a 300mm lens would be more interesting.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
John Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2

First of all you will have to focus manually with your D40 then most of the AF Nikon and OEM 70-300mm lenses are older designs that tend to be softer at the long end. See http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php for tests.

I had a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG MACRO and found I just couldn't handhold it and get good results without a tripod or monopod which wasn't always an option. I finally saved my pennies and replaced it with the Nikon AF-S ZOOM NIKKOR G VR 70-300 F4.5-5.6G IF ED and found a marked difference.

It's always the old rule, fast, good, cheap, pick any two!

See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=66 for a sample.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:10 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice Bob.

Would you saya 200mm zoom was enough (for general shots) compared toa 300mm zoom, baring in mind the cost & my lack of photography skills?

The 55-200mm AF-S lens I mentioned isn't VR. Do you think that that would cause me problems too?

Cheers, John K.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:04 PM   #4

200mm gets you closer than a 70mm or 55mm lens but not as close as a 300mm. I've had cases where the 70mm end was too long but I didn't have time to switch lenses to the 18-70mm. I've had other cases where the 300mm wasn't enough but had to make do as I don't have a 500mm or 600mm lens. Your milage may vary!

Trying to reach a subject that's too far away may not work as smog, haze and thermal convection currents will degrade image quality quickly.

If you can walk closer to the subject and save a lot of money on lenses!

When shooting with telephoto lenses the key is to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible. 1/250 minimum for a 200mm ot 1/500 minimum for a 300mm. Keeping your elbows tucked into your ribs, bracing the camera against your face and holding your breath when pressing the shutter release helps. Using a tripod ot monopod or other solid support helps even more.

Play with the lens simulator at http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php a bit and see what the difference is between 200mm and 300mm (and 500mm tto!).

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:05 PM   #5

Cheers Bob.

Sounds like good advice, thanks very much.

John K.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:49 PM   #6

I came here and listen to Bob's advise, save up for the 70-300mmVR is worth it.

Like you I started thinking of a cheap 70-300mm zoom, then many recommended the sigma APO 70-300mm over that and carrying on the 70-300mmVR was a performer. No doubt a clear difference in price but it was worth every penny.

I am glad I bought the 70-300mmVR as is very good on outdoor shots for birds etc.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:43 AM   #7

Thanks for replying, Nexusworks.

I appreciate your views.

Cheers, John K.