Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2007, 7:12 AM   #1

hello everyone,

I've been thinking about replacing my kit 18-55 lens with a sharper and broader-use lens. first I thought of getting the 18-70 (kit for the d70) or the 18-135 (kit for the d80). they seem to have nice test results at slrgear.com. I considered the nikkor 18-200vr but gave up when I saw the price tag. today I saw the sigma 17-70 test at slrgear and it seems to perform great. low distortion, slightly wider angle (I'm an architect, so that's great), macro capability, small (as opposed to the 18-135) and pretty sharp. pretty versatile as well. so that's my favorite candidate so far.

anyone got any other suggestions on the up to usd 400s price tag?

thanks in advance,

rafael

kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:25 AM   #2

No replies?

Hmm i'll just throw in my opinion then:

The 17-70 hsm or the 18-50 2.8 hsm are good ideas. Both pretty good lenses to replace the kitlens.
But if you don't have a tele yet, have you thought of buying one? or a super-wideangle?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3

I've been using the Sigma for a few weeks and love it- it's very sharp, nice color, and a solid build.
b94new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:51 PM   #4

thanks, chris89 and b94new.

I do have a tele, the tamron 70-300... before, with 4x6 prints, I thought it was great, but now with digital I realize it is indeed pretty much unusable beyond 200mm. no worries there, though, it pretty much suits my needs. I've been thinking of getting a super wide angle as well, but a tamron 11-18 costs about 600€... I love wide angle, but that's just too much money. I wouldn't use it that much anyway.

right now I'd like something to go a little beyond the 55mm... but long zooms always mean lower quality, at least in my price tag range. so the 17-70 seems like a nice quality/size/versatility/price mix, at least for now. it seems sharp judging by what you say, plus the review at slrgear.com.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:00 AM   #5

you couldn't be more right. 17-70 does sound like the best solution then.
Go with the HSM one if you can, shouldnt be that much more expensive.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:12 PM   #6

what stopped you going for the Nikkor 18-70?
varo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:15 AM   #7

I've been leaning rather towards the Sigma because, judging from the test results at slrgear, it performs better (though slightly, it's true) and for its macro capability. it's only a little it more expensive, and I won't say the extra 1 mm doesn't help as well.

though I'm not sure yet. I might wait a while and make the switch to alpha next year. but the sigma is still my most likely acquisition for the next few weeks