Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1

It is not clear which optional lens that this camera can use.

I am looking for a lens up to 200 mmor 300mm.

I also have a Canon EOS Rebel 2000 300 (35 mm) with a Canon Zoom lens EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III USM

What would be equivalent to this lens for this NikonD40 digital camera? 200 mm? 300 mm?

Also, is there any way this old Canon lens would work with this Nikon D40camera?
Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:04 AM   #2
Administrator

The D40 and D40x do not have a focus motor built into the camera body. So, unlike all other Nikon dSLR models, you have to use a lens with a built in focus motor (unless you want to use manual focus).

In Nikkor lenses, you'll want to go with AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) type lenses. Look for the lenses with AF-S in their description on this page for examples of lenses you can choose from and have Autofocus with a D40:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

You can also use Sigma HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses. See this page for compatible Sigma lenses:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3356

No, you can't use your Canon lenses on a Nikon dSLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:18 AM   #3

Also, since I am trying to get an equivalent MM lens from my original Canon35 MM camera that had 300 MM, is the Nikon200 mm or 300 MM equivalent when it comes to using the Nikon D40digital camera?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:31 AM   #4
Administrator

Because the D40 is using a smaller APS-C size sensor, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for any given focal length lens compared to the same focal length on a 35mm camera.

Multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.5x (it's actually 1.53x, but most people round it to 1.5x) on a lens used with the D40 to see what focal length you'd need on a 35mm camera for the same angle of view.

So, yes, 200mm on a D40 would give you roughly the same angle of view as you'd have using a 300mm lens on a your Canon 35mm camera.

Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:40 PM   #5

This maybe a little off topic. The current lens that I have for my 35mm camera (Canon EOS Rebel 2000 300Canon with a Zoom lens EF 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 III USM), would it work on the Canon Digital Rebel XT-8 Megapixel digital camera?

Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:05 PM   #6
Administrator

Yes. If you use a Canon dSLR, it can use any lenses you have for a Canon EOS Film model like your Rebel.

The opposite is not always true.

Some lenses are designed with a smaller image circle for dSLR models with an APS-C size sensor. These are not going to work properly on a 35mm camera.

In Canon models, these would be EF-S lenses (for example, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S kit lens that you often see bundled with the XT).

But, any Canon EF lens will work on your film Rebel or a Canon dSLR. EF-S lenses are digital only (and only Canon digital models with smaller APS-C size sensors versus larger sensors).

You see the same thing from some other lens manufacturers, too (lenses designed to work only with dSLR models using an APS-C size sensor). For example, Sigma's DC lenses are not going to work properly on a 35mm camera (you'd get vignetting).

Note that with these entry level Canon models you need to multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6x to see what focal length you'd use on a 35mm camera for the same angle of view.

So, that 75-300mm zoom on a Rebel XT would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd get using a 120-480mm lens on your film Rebel.

Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:36 PM   #7

I use the Nikkor 70-300mmVR lens with my D-40 and D-40X and have had excellent results.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote