Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

i'm interested in getting an older model Nikon Reflex-Nikkor C 500mm f/8.0 MF Non-Ai mirror reflex lens. I've been told that the Nikon D200 and D2 series cameras can auto-expose with these lenses, and not the D70 series/D80 cameras. We won't even get into auto-focusing since its obvious they won't. However, will they auto-expose due to some technical additions the D70/D80 doesn't have? any truth to this?
pxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2007, 1:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I moved this thread to our Nikon Lenses Forum where you may get better responses.

Yes, there is some truth to that (you would not have metering on a D70/D70s/D80, or any current model under the D200.

Also, AFAIK, you should not try to mount non-AI Lenses any DSLR models other D40/D40X or you'll risk damaging the camera and/or lens. You can have non-AI lenses converted to AI, though.

The least expensive current Nikon model that will meter with non-CPU lenses is the D200. So, you'd be shooting blind with the entry level models (for example, the D40, D40x D50, D70, D70s, D80 will not meter with a non-CPU lens). With those models, you'd have to estimate exposure or use a separate meter.

You can see more information on lens compatiblity here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:46 PM   #3

my apologies as to the placement of the original msg. i haven't been into the site since I last got my CP5700. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if this msg gets in the right place either since all I do is just press the send button. Anyway, putting aside the auto-exposure issue, but still talking about the same lens and other AI lenses, can AI lenses be modified/converted to auto-focus lenses? I know this is a stretch, but I have a considerable amount invested in my old NIKON lenses which I really love since they have served me well through the decades during my film days. if this is possible, big stretch, who do I contact to do this?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:00 PM   #4
Administrator

No, I don't think they can be converted to Autofocus.

If you don't mind manual focus, you could use them on a Canon model OK with an adapter if you don't want to go with one of the more expensive Nikon models.

Here's an example of an inexpensive adapter ($27.95) to let them work on a Canon DSLR body (and you'd have metering, too). No conversion would be needed with this adapter and you could use them on any Canon DSLR model (even the entry level models) and still have metering. Just set the Aperture Ring to the desired Aperture on the lens and the meter is live in the camera if you shoot in manual exposure or aperture priority modes. The camera won't know the aperture you set with it (but doesn't matter for metering since it just needs to find the correct shutter speed for proper exposure for the amount of light it's seeing)

Note that viewfinders on most modern DSLR models may not be the best for manual focusing though (although you can find third party split prism type focusing screens around to help with that part).

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...roducts_id=718

Or, consider going used on a higher end body (D2X, D1X, D2H) if you really don't need the features of a new body so that you wouldnt' be shooting blind (no meter on lower end Nikon bodies with non-CPU lenses).

http://www.keh.com is a good place to shop for used gear. Look under Nikon Digital and you'll see some used bodies.

Thom Hogan has a chart showing older models that can meter with older AI type lenses (and it's best to convert them to AI). Note the "Lens Support" row in the table:

http://www.bythom.com/olddslr.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:05 PM   #5

just a short thnx for all the help. now I have more resources to research as to which way to jump.