Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:03 PM   #1

I am totally new to SLR/DSLR and I am about to buy the D80 with the kit lens. I am totally overloaded with info on both but I'm still not sure which one to get. I want to photgraph my little girl and landscape for the most part. Which one do you think is best for my start (it could be my only one for awhile). I've been looking forward to being an slr owner for years so I really want to make the best decision. Also, I really love the effect of a blurred background and sharp subject - is either of these capable of this? If not which one should I look at as my next purchase to achieve this effect (budget is an issue)? All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
rickschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:41 AM   #2

Hi
If you don't have plan to have more lenses my suggestion is 18-135. Blured background is hard to achive with slow lenese with aperture 5.6, blured background must be min 2 meters far of the object, this is my experience with portret pictures , with lens 85 mm 5.6. Fast lens with aperture 2.8 or less is to expensive for me. With d80 you can check DOF and test lens in the shop. I hope I help you.
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:30 AM   #3

If you are set on one of those two lenses then the 18-135 is the better deal, simply becuase of the extra tele range for not much more cash. Also, 135mm will give you more background blur at f/5.6 than the 70 will give you at f/4.5. Don't expect supoer creamy bokeh with either one, but as you avoid sparkly crap or strong, sharp patterns in your backgrounds you should be fine.

Do you have a good reason to buy the D80 instead of a D40/D40x?
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:23 AM   #4

David French wrote:
Quote:
If you are set on one of those two lenses then the 18-135 is the better deal, simply becuase of the extra tele range for not much more cash. Also, 135mm will give you more background blur at f/5.6 than the 70 will give you at f/4.5. Don't expect supoer creamy bokeh with either one, but as you avoid sparkly crap or strong, sharp patterns in your backgrounds you should be fine.

Extra tele does not necessarily equal better value. You must practice better technique with this, especially on the long end, as its not stabilized. You'll need to either use flash if light is to low or shutter speeds of at least 1/125 to prevent camera shake on the long end. Also, although this lens is sharp, it is more prone to chromatic aberration and has more distortion than the 18-70. Whenever you add range to a lens, you add problems. You as a photographer have to decide whether you can live with those compromises.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:15 AM   #5

David French wrote:
Quote:
Well I am choosing the D80 as it is the newest technology in my price range, and mostly because of the autofocus capabilites. Do you not agree with my choice? As IQ is the most important issue to me I want the one that provides the best.

Also, what do you suggest as a second lens to achieve better bokeh with the camera? I was thinking of getting a prime lens to go with my 18-135 or 18-70 (whichever I choose) but I wasn't sure which one to go with. I read great things about the 85mm but unfortunately I doubt that will be in my price range for a few years. This is a major purchase from my budget. I've been looking at the 50 1.4 and 1.8 and since there is a significant price difference, I am wondering is this the way to go and will I see enough ofdifference to justify buying the 1.4.

I'd appreciate any and all help with this.

rickschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:50 AM   #6

If you are choosing between the 18-70 and the 18-135, you would be better off with the 18-70. It has better image quality than the 18-135 but it is a little more expensive than the 18-135.

The 18-70 is really a very very good lens.

Your choice of the D80 over the D40X is a good one. The D80 has more features and a much larger choice of lenses that allow autofocus.

PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:04 AM   #7

I have the 18-135mm and am very pleased with it. It's a great general purpose lens and as long as you accept that there are compromises associated with such a lens then its the one I would go for.

The 18-70mmprobably has better build quality but doesn't have the versatility.

Of course if you want a great all-round lens and great build quality go for the 18-200mm VR..........but you'll have to pay for it.

You are right to go with the D80. Its a superb camera and you'll find yourself still exploring its possibilities for a long time to come. Not something you could say with the D40.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote