Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:06 PM   #1

Is Nikon planning to release a new version of the 70-200 f/2.8 VR? I just noticed on one of the local camera shop's website that they had again dropped the price. When it came out it was selling for a little over $2000.00 CAD. Today it's $1616.95 CAD. Great for me as I'm about to buy a D300 (along with other lenses and accessories).

And has any one heard anything about what lenses Nikon is planning to rollout in 2008? I'd like to see some more VR equipped lenses. Like a VR version of the 24-70 f/2.8. But they are about to put out the "Nano" version w/o VR. Don't know why Nikon is doing this. Maybe Nikon will do a VR version of the 28-70 f/2.8? I hope.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:48 AM   #2
Administrator

I haven't seen any rumours. But, nothing would surprise me.

As for VR on more zooms, that wouldn't surprise me either.

If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd want a stablized zoom like a 24-70mm f/2.8, as well as more stablized bright primes like a 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2) for use in very low light (or just stopped down for better depth of field in other lighting), without needing to worry about dragging a monopod or tripod along or lowering image quality by shooting at a higher ISO speed.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen any rumours. But, nothing would surprise me.

As for VR on more zooms, that wouldn't surprise me either.

If I were a Nikon shooter, I'd want a stablized zoom like a 24-70mm f/2.8, as well as more stablized bright primes like a 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2) for use in very low light (or just stopped down for better depth of field in other lighting), without needing to worry about dragging a monopod or tripod along or lowering image quality by shooting at a higher ISO speed.
Just wondered. Price is so good right now.

I'd want a VR version of a 24-70 f/2.8 too. Probably be the lens I'd keep on my camera the most. Which is why is I do go with the D300 I think I'll start with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens. Wait for maybe a 28-70 f/2.8 VR. As I doubt Nikon is going to release a VR version of the soon to be available 24-70 f/2.8 "Nano" in 2008.

And wait and see if they do replace the current 70-200 f/2.8 VR with the new "VR2" image stablization version soon to be found on the 14-24 and 24-70 "Nano series".

Will have to wait for Photokina announcements.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Seeing as they just announced the 18-55 VR the pro line will definitely follow! (i hope).

Can't wait though, a d300 with a 17-55 f2.8 VR makes my tummy turn
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Administrator

More wider stablized zooms seems to be a trend lately. For example, Canon has a stabilized version of their 18-55mm kit lens now.

In part, that could be because of the popularity of stabilization, with a number DSLR models from Pentax, Sony and Olympus now including it in the camera body (so that all lenses you use on models with this feature are stablized). I've been very impressed with the improvements made in Sony's new stabilization system used in their DSLR-A700 (they're now claiming up to 4 stops improvement in this model).

I've seen perfectly acceptable images shooting at around 1/5 second at 55mm with this new Sony model.

Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:16 PM   #6

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
Seeing as they just announced the 18-55 VR the pro line will definitely follow! (i hope).

Can't wait though, a d300 with a 17-55 f2.8 VR makes my tummy turn
A "kit lens"? PASS!! Rather pickup a 18-200 VR and wait for what 2008 has in-store for lucky Nikonians.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:16 AM   #7

Personally I just think it is down to supply and demand. There was an enormous backlog for a couple of years for the 70/200 as there is now for the D3 and the new 24/70 so prices will stay firm for some time. I guess though that soon they will update it with a better VR system. It is, after all, still one of the best Nikkors out there.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:45 AM   #8

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
Personally I just think it is down to supply and demand. There was an enormous backlog for a couple of years for the 70/200 as there is now for the D3 and the new 24/70 so prices will stay firm for some time. I guess though that soon they will update it with a better VR system. It is, after all, still one of the best Nikkors out there.
If you're right that's good for new Nikon DSLR owners who haven't bought a great lens like the 70-200 (Moi). Selling for $1619.99 CAD is a greaqt price. Lowest I've seen it. But I think if you're just starting out I'd rather wait for the 2008 Photokina show in February to see if there are any new announcements. That and I'd like to fnd out if Nikon is going to put out a new version of the 28-70 with VR.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:07 AM   #9
Administrator

I'd like to see a lot more competition in this niche (70-200mm f/2.8 zooms). Right now, Sigma is about the only other game in town, other than the camera manufacturers' zooms with this focal range and brightness (although you do see some Tokinas around from time to time, the Sigma is generally regarded as a better/faster focusing lens).

Tamron announced a new 70-200mm f/2.8 a long time ago. But, it's still not shipping.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele...0307_a001.html

I'm surprised Sigma hasn't released more lenses with stablization built in, too. They've had the technology for years now in their 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OS lens. But, they've only just got around to adding this feature to one more lens (their new 18-200mm OS lens).

Sigma, Tokina and Tamron really should jump on the bandwagon and start shipping lenses with Ultrasonic motor type focusing systems and stablization built in (at least for Canon and Nikon mounts, since those don't have camera bodies with it built in like Olympus, Pentax and Sony now do with some of their DSLR models).

That way, we'd have a lot more competition in this segment, which would help to drive prices down. lol Perhaps now that the DSLR market niches are growing at a faster rate (thanks to price drops as technology advances), we'll see more competition in the lenses for them, too.

Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:07 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see a lot more competition in this niche (70-200mm f/2.8 zooms). Right now, Sigma is about the only other game in town, other than the camera manufacturers' zooms with this focal range and brightness (although you do see some Tokinas around from time to time, the Sigma is generally regarded as a better/faster focusing lens).
I'd like to see it to, but when you get to pro grade lenses (which I think by default any 70-200mm 2.8 type lens would be) it's TOUGH to do well and offer at a lower cost than the OEMs do. For this level of lens, your market is often quite a bit more demanding. It's no longer a question of JUST sharpness. Build quality and focus speed and boke come into play - all of which cost more $$$ and all of which are areas where third parties cut corners to offer a lower price.

So, while I'd LOVE to see it, I'm not sure pro grade telephotos are an area many third party manufacturers are going to try and get into. When your audience is a knowledgable advanced enthusiast the warts from your cost cutting start to show more. So in this example, Tamron or Tokina would have to develop a lens on par with the sigma and probably a good deal less $$$ since they don't have a track record yet for pro grade telephotos. That's a costly venture (metal build quality, focus motors, anti-shake). I think they're still likely to target the entry level - cheap built zoom lenses that are reasonably sharp and inexpensive telephotos (that aren't very sharp comparitively but are a lot less money). In those markets all they need is better value and acceptable sharpness.

Still would love to see it though!

I'd really love to see them work on a 2.0 zoom lens. I think that would be a HUGE seller. I think Oly is the only system that has one right now. Something like a 28-100 2.0 zoom would be stellar.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote