Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:35 PM   #1

After reading about how the quality of a lens (on all the forums here) can effect the total image quality of the final picture. I thought I check out the Nikon and others web sites to see what was out there to choose from for the different cameras on the market. Some (3 that I found) break their lenses up into different quality group (prices too) but two didn't, Nikon being one of the two.

So the question is; are all of Nikon's lenses made to the same ground glass standards? No one lens has a better image quality than another lens. The only difference being focal lengths, F-stops setting, actual size of the lens and of course price. If that is the case, all I can say is .

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 5:15 AM   #2

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
After reading about how the quality of a lens (on all the forums here) can effect the total image quality of the final picture. I thought I check out the Nikon and others web sites to see what was out there to choose from for the different cameras on the market. Some (3 that I found) break their lenses up into different quality group (prices too) but two didn't, Nikon being one of the two.

So the question is; are all of Nikon's lenses made to the same ground glass standards? No one lens has a better image quality than another lens. The only difference being focal lengths, F-stops setting, actual size of the lens and of course price. If that is the case, all I can say is .

Thanks,

Craig
Not so there are DX, FX and FF lenses from Nikon and dramatic price differences

between them......................:|............musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 6:55 AM   #3

hahaha you made me laugh musket.

DX, FX and FF (FX and FF being exactly the same) are not an indication of anything except the diameter of the circle they project onto the sensor.

There are FX (FF) lenses that are worse than DX, and the other way around.

There is no typical indication of pro nikon lenses, except the gold ring around the lens. But that's a new thing.
The price is nothing to go by either.

But to comfort you in your quest for good lenses, almost all nikon lenses are at least "good enough". I never saw "canon kit lens" quality lenses in the nikon line (which is a good thing cause that canon kit lens just sucks).

You might want to have a look at www.photozone.de there's a big list of lenses with resolution marks.
The cool thing being that the nikon scores go to 2250 (and some lenses go over that) and canon scores only go to 2150.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 1:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses, it still seems weird that a company like Nikon would leave people to guess about their lenses. That of course may not be a company policy but just the web site designers' (maybe he's the brother-in-law of some VP) lack of knowledge. I will read the reviews and of course the comments here (lot of smarts at Steve's) at Steve's.

Thanks again,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:35 PM   #5

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
hahaha you made me laugh musket.

DX, FX and FF (FX and FF being exactly the same) are not an indication of anything except the diameter of the circle they project onto the sensor.

There are FX (FF) lenses that are worse than DX, and the other way around.

There is no typical indication of pro nikon lenses, except the gold ring around the lens. But that's a new thing.
The price is nothing to go by either.

But to comfort you in your quest for good lenses, almost all nikon lenses are at least "good enough". I never saw "canon kit lens" quality lenses in the nikon line (which is a good thing cause that canon kit lens just sucks).

You might want to have a look at http://www.photozone.de there's a big list of lenses with resolution marks.
The cool thing being that the nikon scores go to 2250 (and some lenses go over that) and canon scores only go to 2150.
Ha ha You have also made me wonder, would the use of bellows or extension

tubes increase the circle that is thrown onto the sensor from a DX lens?

If so the Dx lens might be used for full frame exposure, and what about

G lenses they threw the circle onto 35mm film would they be of any use

for the likes of the D3? and how does prime lenses fit into this full frame 35mm

sensor image circle on the D3 are they inadequate?.. lots of questions.............:|...........musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:39 PM   #6

Musket,

Tubes and bellows may increase the image circle but at the cost of increasing the effective f/stop (make the lens slower/darker) and losing focus to infinity. They are usually used to increase the macro range of a lens.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:15 PM   #7
NHL

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
You might want to have a look at http://www.photozone.de there's a big list of lenses with resolution marks.
Be very careful - You can't really do this...
Photozone clearly states:
"Nikon (APS-C DSLR) LENS TEST REPORTS / REVIEWS
- Results not cross-system comparable"
The MTF plot for the lenses result from the whole system: Data for the Canon are based on the 350D (8Mp) while the Nikon came from the D200 (10Mp). Right there already the MTF data from Nikon benefit from the higher resolution, and we've yet to account for sensor micro-lenses, IR filter and, signal processing built into each camera...

Based on highest scores only Pentax (or even the lone Sony) lenses should be the best - Correct?
However; I highly doubt that, again: "Please note that the results are only comparable within the Pentax lens test group!"

-> What is more likely to be cross system comparable is the distortion figures, but then Nikon kit lens do not score as high, as others in this area...
(Distortion is inherent in the lens projection and not affected much by the sensors/camera system in use)

Quote:
BTW - They have a new kid in town: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1114/cat/11
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:30 PM   #8

Quote:
If so the Dx lens might be used for full frame exposure, and what about G lenses they threw the circle onto 35mm film would they be of any use for the likes of the D3? and how does prime lenses fit into this full frame 35mm sensor image circle on the D3 are they inadequate?.. lots of questions.............:|..........
Dx lenses can be used on the D3, although they will be used at a lower resolution. As far as prime lenses, they will work as they were intended without the "crop factor" they have when used on APS sensor sized cameras. G lenses which were also made for 35mm cameras, also will function as designed on the D3. Basically, as technology advanced, the lenses were given different names, ie AI, G, D, Dx etc. This allows a user to know what features and benefits the lens has. Dx lenses are the only ones designed specifically for Aps sensor sized DSLR's. They can be used on full frame and film cameras, but the corners will be vignetted at most focal lengths. All other lenses can be used on the D3 as they would have been used on 35 mm cameras, with no crop factor. On DSLR's, these lenses can be used, but with the added crop factor effectively changing the focal length by approx 1.5x
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote