Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 5, 2003, 2:47 PM   #1

Default Newbie Lens question for Nikon D100

Hi All,
I have a 6006 and have a 70-300MM lens. If I use this lens on the D100, will it increase the lens capabilities (make the 300MM act like 450MM) ?

If so - why?

Does this increased capability come at a price (lens beomes slower on the D100) ?

When using lenses from a standard SLR to a digital SLR, are there certain things that one has to look out for????

Many thanks
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 3:48 PM   #2

The short answer is you get the longer lenses for free (no lost of f stop.)

If you put your 70-300 on a film camera and took a picture at 300mm and then did exactly the same thing with the D100 and then compared the picutres this is the difference.

The pictures would be exactly(*) the same except that the D100 would look like you cropped the film picture to the same FOV was made and then enlarged to the same size as the D100. Of course, this is without any artifacts which normally come from cropping and enlarging.

The reason is that the sensor in the D100 is not the same size as a film negitive. It's smaller. But it is being used to produce results at the same sizes as film produces. Assuming the quality & detail is there (and I believe it would be), you could print both film and digital (D100) pictures at 8 x 6 and the only diff would be the FOV (from the crop/enlarge like effect.) Which is the same as having used a longer lens.

It is not like a teleconverter which reduces quality by magnifying flaws in the lens and looses light because it looses some of the light. In fact, you are only using the center portion of the lens, which should be of higher quality. So its pictures might even be better at the same f stop than with film.

Some people call it a 1.5x magnification but it's really just a 1.5x crop. The downside to this is that wide angle shooting is actually hard because the lenses aren't as wide as they would be with a real 35mm negative.

There are differences between shooting digital and film, but they are not about the lenses as much as the nature of digital sensors.

Eric

(*) Well, the pictures would probably not be exactly the same because film has different properties than digital sensors. It would be dependent on what film you used. For example, you can easily buy films with more dynamic range than digital sensors have. So the pictures might not be exactly the same (detail would probably be lost in some hilights), but in the ways that you are asking about, they would be the same.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:16 PM   #3

Default Re: Newbie Lens question for Nikon D100

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriseman
I have a 6006 and have a 70-300MM lens. If I use this lens on the D100, will it increase the lens capabilities (make the 300MM act like 450MM) ? If so - why?

Does this increased capability come at a price (lens beomes slower on the D100) ?
Just answered the same question a couple of seconds ago. See here: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=13850

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriseman
When using lenses from a standard SLR to a digital SLR, are there certain things that one has to look out for????
Since your 6006 has an AF system, I believe you have AF lenses. In general, your AF lenses should work fine with the D100 with AF and metering capability preserved. If your lenses are not the AFD version, you will not be able to take the advantage of the newer flash capability that uses the [D]istance that generated by a AFD lens.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote