Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1

My step-son has some of his late father's Nikon equipment.

Will any of these lenses workon a current Nikon dSLR?

Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2

The first one seems to be An AF nikon mount and should work fine

The second one is a Pre AI DO NOT USE THIS LENS. At least not untill you have it modified or modify it yourself.

The last one looks like a tameron adaptall But I cant tell if its ai or not so I don't know Doesn't appear to be I wouldn't risk it.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:49 PM   #3

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
The last one looks like a tameron adaptall But I cant tell if its ai or not so I don't know Doesn't appear to be I wouldn't risk it.
If it is an Adaptall mount, if he replaces the mount with a newer one, will it AE on a Nikon dSLR? I suspect it won't AF.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:11 PM   #4

Manual focus lenses will only AE with the high end Nikon DSLR's
The D200, D300, D1, D2, and D3. With all other models they will fit (exept pre ai lenses) but for metering of any kind you need lenses with a CPU in them and the electronic contacts on the rear of the lens. thus AF lenses, or MF lenses marked Ai-P

Now that I have looked closer at the pic in PS I see that that is an Ai adapter. What I thought was a slot on the back is the Ai tab and I now see the rear F/ setting showing through a small window rather than a full strip as usual. So the lens should be safe but still no AE on lower end cameras

BTW The Nikon D40 and D40x will not auto focus with the AF lense shown here but should meter and AE all other Nikon's will AF with it.

Pre Ai lenses have the same mount but the apature ring sticks out in the back past the mount and you could damage the camea. It's a simple job to Ai a pre ai Nikkor (I've done four myself) but with third party lenses you never know how it was built and you may never get it back togather

Hope this helps

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote