Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:46 AM   #1

Any opinions on which of these two lenses would make a better overall walk around lense for the D40? Build quality favors nikon, but f2.8 for sigma. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this decision?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator

One quirk with the WowBB software we use for the forums is that you can't see the second subject line when you're reading a post.

You have to be looking at the threads list in a specific forum before it's visible.

So, it's a good idea not to put anything in it that others may need to see if you want responses, like the two lenses you are asking about:

From the second subject line:
Quote:
nikkor 18-70 or sigma 17-70 f2.8
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

That Sigma 17-70mm is not an f/2.8 lens (it's only f/2.8 on it's wide end).

It loses light as you zoom in. It's an f/2.8-4.5 lens (widest available aperture is f/4.5 on it's long end).

The Nikkor 18-70mm is f/3.5-4.5 (only a about half stop dimmer on it's wide end compared to that Sigma, with no difference zoomed in to the long end).

I don't shoot with a Nikon DSLR. But, if I did, I'd probably go with the Nikkor between those two lenses. It's a relatively high quality zoom for it's focal range, with less CA compared to most competing lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM   #4

Nikkor without a doubt. Less vignetting, less CA, better quality control, much cheaper. That f/2.8 is a marketing gimmick as it stops down rather quickly as you zoom in.

If you can wait a couple of weeks, there might be a new lens or two at PMA that might change the game...
David French is offline   Reply With Quote