Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:14 AM   #11

Just bought a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and i`m amazed of it`s sharpness even though it has the reputation of being too soft under f/4 , well this pic is taken at f/3.2 and i`ve never seen a sharper picture
Attached Images

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:31 PM   #12

I'm anxious to see reviews + shots of Tokina's new 11-16 f/2.8 atx pro. I hesitated on the purchase of my Sigma 10-20 hoping that lens would have been out by now.

BTW guillermovilas that is a sharp shot !
joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:05 PM   #13

joeybob wrote:
Quote:
I'm anxious to see reviews + shots of Tokina's new 11-16 f/2.8 atx pro. I hesitated on the purchase of my Sigma 10-20 hoping that lens would have been out by now.

I`m thinking more of the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 which has a more interesting reach , a good walkaround lens :-)
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:20 AM   #14

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
joeybob wrote:
Quote:

I`m thinking more of the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 which has a more interesting reach , a good walkaround lens :-)
Hmmm... I hadn't read or heard about that one yet. Looks very interesting to say the least !

I personally haven't tried the existing 12-24 Tokina and Nikon nor the 11-18 Tamron but I have read a great deal of reviews between the existing Sigma, Tamron and Tokina ultra wide offerings. My hunch is that these new lenses may take ultra wide for dx sensors to the next level - if there is such a place?

Thanks for the tip !
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:07 AM   #15

Thought I'd resurect this thread... Have recently purchased the 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM and I am pleased... This lens is not a low light lens but it does a great job IMHO... I haven't had the pleasure of shooting w/the 18-200 VR but this Sigma version does great as far as I am concerned - especially @ under $400.00 ...

Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:36 AM   #16
NHL

NHL wrote:
Quote:
-> I'll follow with my Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 shortly...
I did a 20x30 enlargement with this lens recently and was amazed by its IQ. This Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 focuses extremely fast - i.e. from closest to infinity in a 1/4 of a turn of the focusing ring (using the D300's super smooth built-in motor):

-> Just can't wait to try their 11-18 super wide next... Probably the sharpest (and fastest) lens in this focal lenght at this time regardless of brand!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:54 PM   #17

I wasnt impressed with my copy of the Tamron 28-75, I changed it for the 17-50 F2.8 ,I'm glad I did .I use it on my D300 90% of the time.I have a Sigma 10-20 ,Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Hsm.
I've never had any complaints over picture quality with my Tamron and Sigma's.

TD

Nikon D300,Sigma 10-20 , Sb800,Sb600 fired on radio triggers

Attached Images

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:36 PM   #18

Comparisons between tamron and tokina lenses

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nschaden/1332341897

.............................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:31 AM   #19

Maybe our humble moderators will now add a new category, "third party lens for Nikon" under DSLR Cameras

On a tight budget, and wanting one lens as a carry around choice for general purpose...I had the opportunity to pick up a quantaray 18-200mm OS lens for my D40. It is a re-branded sigma and does get some fair-good reviews in so much as an "all-in-one" lens can. It is different from sigma's non-stabilized 18-200 lens (which received more negative reviews as being much too soft overall). This one, they added two elements. It also has a HSM motor (auto focus) and a lock switch to prevent creeping. Admittedly, the pics do get sharper between f7 and f13, but that's certainly no problem with image stabilization and the florida sunshine. It is sold I believe exclusively at Ritz Cameras for $529. I managed to get a used one for $190!!!!

reviews:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-dc-os-af.html

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ..._HSM_11686.php

http://www.photodo.com/topic_305.html

You also should consider what you will do with the photo...The larger the images (or the closer to 100%) and the amount of cropping plus what size you will print all will play a factor in the lens you select. If I was printing poster size images, I probably wouldn't be using this lens. And I probably would also want a higher megapixel count then the 6mp offered by the d40.

Likewise, if I was only shooting night photography without a tripod or in very dark indoor environments, this lens would probably not be my first choice. That's not to say you can't use it indoors, you can...although I would consider 400iso and an external flash. At the right settings the results can be quite good.

I just purchased it recently. When I have something to post, I will. And my D40 is my first DSLR.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/251666061.htm

(another review and sample photos on a canon)
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/321-sigma-af-18-200mm-f35-63-dc-os-canon-test-report--review?start=2

if you want to see samples go to Pbase then click the photo, then click it again to see that person's gallery. Or on the first page click "more" to see other samples. You can see what kind of camera it was attached to at the bottom of the photo:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/18_200_35_63_dc_os
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:52 PM   #20

I did make the suggestion that third party lenses should have their own category some time ago, but the idea wasn't thought appropriate.

Maybe someone can think again?
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote