Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:26 AM   #1

Hi,
anyone can tell me what are the differences between "Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR" AND "Sigma 70-200 f2.8"? I know nikon with the VR, but out of VR, how abt the pic quality and others thing which need to consider before buying?

thanks
koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:01 PM   #2
NHL

FYI - There's a comparison overhere:
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Nikk...report?start=1

-> Obviously from theses results, the Nikon has the better MTF (sharper) and CA control while the Sigma vignette less, but then the reviewed Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is not the latest as there's now a "II" version...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:47 AM   #3

I have a Sigma 70-200 and am quite amazed at the pictures this lens can take. I first bought andstartedusing this on the D80,10 months agoand the results were average to good but that was mostly with the dail set to Auto. Once I began to use my own settings, the pictures just got better and better. I used this lens on the D300 just the other day and was more than impressed at the quality it is capable of. It's almost as if the 70-200 and the D300 were a matching pair.

Since I invested in VR lenses, I had been taken in by its ease of use and the fact that VR does it all for you. It seemed to give me an edge I proviously didn't have, by stopping some of my blurry shots, which at that stage of the game was caused by nothing more than wrong shutter speed vs aperture settings.The one thing I have never fallen for with VR, is to totally rely on it to take your photos. "You" should be taking your own photos. This point was reinforced when I planted the Sigma 70-200mm on the D300 and tried it. I suddenly realized that I was in charge of my own photos... Mind you, the D300 also helps you too, as this is a magic camera but for some reason, the settings I use on the D300 seem to come together a tiny bit better than on the D80.

There's nothing wrong with VR. There's also nothing wrong with non-VR. Either of them are nothing without the user... In short,, I will not be trading in the Sigma for the Nikkor 70-200mm.. I will look at the new Sigma when I see one appear in the shops but until then I will be using this Sigma a little bit more.
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 7:50 AM   #4

thanks for NHL and fewpics. i'll consider the sigma again and wait for the new version before i take any decision... thanks thanks thanks

any other user got difference comment?

koshinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:27 PM   #5

Hi Koshinki, I have to say that money being no object the nikonVR wins hands down over the Sigma!! for speed of handling on my D2h, however discarding the VR (useless if your wanting the lens for sports) the Sigma is more than capable ofholding it's own in terms of sharpness and focus speed, also at the price it gives youtheoption to buy another lens or TC.

Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:42 PM   #6
NHL

koshinki wrote:
Quote:
... any other user got difference comment?
Just one actually: If you're already considering a 70-200 f/2.8 plus a 1.4x teleconverter... (i.e. 98-280mm f/4)

The best kept secret is the Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX for Nikon - This zoom is, as in the Canon mount, as good as the Nikkor 300 f/4 prime with very fast and silent AF because of Sigma's HSM, but costs less than a 70-200 f/2.8 plus 1.4TC and with much higher image quality than a zoom+TC combo:
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Nikk...-nikon?start=1

Check out the Sigma's MTF with a 1.4x TC
-> It's sharper @ 420mm than the older 80-400mm VR and it'll focus faster too !!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:09 PM   #7

Some additional points:

I'd second NHLs recommendation of the Sigma 100-300 if you're planning on using the TC all the time on the 70-200.

Back to the debate of Nikor vs. Sigma though. I can't speak to the Nikor lens, but I used a Sigma 70-200 2.8 on my Canon mount camera for several years until a couple months ago when I traded it in for the Canon 70-200 2.8.

My copy of the Sigma was very sharp - about 95% of the sharpness of the Canon. For small prints, completely indistinguishable. However, the canon lens is noticably faster to focus and with less hunting in low light sports. For people not doing low light sports they would never notice (i.e. the sigma is just as fast in good light but in low light it's slower and hunts more). This is something an MTF chart would never be able to show you. And it's something that is difficult to measure. And it isn't something you determine from a simple 15 minute test.

My point is this - if you were in the Canon camp I would advise that the Canon 70-200 2.8 (non-IS) is worth the extra $$$ over the sigma IF you plan on using it for low light sports. If you're not using it for low light sports, the Sigma is plenty.

But Nikon is a bit different. You have to pay twice the amount of the Sigma lens. So even if the Nikor were faster to focus, it's tough to say whehter it's worth twice the money. And, you'd have to find someone who has shot low light sports with both the Nikor and the Sigma to find out if there is a similar difference in focus speed and hunting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote