Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:22 AM   #1

hi, i bought the d40 for my now ex girlfriend,

it doesnt have any lenses , and so im looking on ebay to see what i can get cheap,

i think this is the original lense that should have shiped with the d40

[Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX Kit lens]

but i dont know if thats what i want or not. im going to australia on holiday soon and would like to take some wildlife pics, any help wpuld be greatfully recieved. thanks in advance.
firstimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:41 AM   #2
Administrator

I removed the long link to improve readability. You'll find that most Nikon shooters here know the lens you're talking about.

For wildlife, you're going to want something longer (think 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, depending on how far away you're talking about).

You'll still want something that starts out wider for other types of shots though. That's why manufacturers usually bundle kit lenses with ranges like 18-55mm. With longer telephoto lenses, you may not be able to fit what you want into the frame (you can only backup so far).

For best quality, you'll want more than one lens to cover a given focal range from wide to long.

I'd let members know what kind of budget you have in mind for better recommendations.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:56 AM   #3
Administrator

This Tamron Japan page will show you how some of the focal lengths compare with a couple of their lenses (use the digital image on the right side of the page, and click on a focal length setting at the bottom).

A shorter focal length (for example, 28mm) will give you a wider angle of view (less apparent magnification) compared to a longer focal length (for example, 300mm). That's how much you're zooming in with a given lens (for example, the Nikkor 18-55mm starts out at a wider 18mm, and lets you zoom into 55mm). Click on one of the choices at the bottom (28mm, 70mm, 200mm...) and you'll see how that works

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/lineup/a001/gakaku.html

They've got another simulator with a range of focal lengths on the Tamron USA site here:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php

Note that only lenses with focus motors built in will work on a D40, D40x or D60 (because these 3 Nikon bodies do not have a focus motor built in like other Nikon dSLR models).

So, if you're not looking at a Nikkor AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing) or Sigma HSM (Hypersonic Focus Motor), which have focus motors built in that are compatible with your D40, make sure the lens states it will work on a D40.

Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:22 PM   #4

jim, thanks so much for coming to my aid, i have about £150 to spend,

i have seen a Nikon 18-55mm and a 55-200 AF-S DX Lense together as a bundle. Would these suit my needs as an absolute amature?

that 2nd link with the focal comparison tool is really good, if i understand it correctly, i used the sliders to give me an idea of how the lenses above would allow me to veiw picures through the viewfinder ( how much i could zoom ect) and the 2nd lese i listed would allow me to get shots from quite a distance wouldnt it ?

im presuming the higher the number in the lense title the further away it shoots, am i right please lol. all the best seb.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:36 PM   #5
Administrator

With your budget, that's probably going to be your best bet (Nikkor 18-55mm and 55-200mm AF-S Lenses).

Depending on how far away the wildlife you want to capture is (and how small it is), you may find something longer to be more useful. But, you'd add size/weight to your kit, and would likely exceed your budget.

In a little longer lens, both Sigma and Tamron will be offering new 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Autofocus lenses with focus motors built in for compatibility with the D40, D40x, and D60 models (since these 3 cameras require lenses with focus motors built in).

But, most of the ones like these you're likely to find on dealer shelves won't have focus motors built in yet (both of these manufacturers just announced that these models would be modified for the D40/D40x/D60 models at the end of January, so I'm not sure they're actually shipping yet, and the older versions would not Autofocus with these newer Nikon bodies). You may want to check with some of the dealers in your area to see if they've got versions in that will Autofocus on your D40 yet.

Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:58 PM   #6

i think your right jim,

after looking at the pices of the vm lenses, im wondering where that extra money is going, and is it worth it?

is it that bad using lenses without vm? im presuming its going to be hard to take photos on moving vehicles lol.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:36 PM   #7
Administrator

I think you mean VR (Vibration Reduction) versus VM.

That feature allows you to take photos with a hand held camera at slower shutter speeds than you could normally take them without support (like a tripod or monopod) or a flash.

But, VR won't help with blur from subject movement. It only helps with blur caused by camera shake. You'd need faster shutter speeds for a moving subject (which means more light and/or wider apertures and/or higher ISO speeds).

Since you're new to photography, it may be a good idea not to spend a lot of money on lenses until you have a chance to better determine what limitations your existing equipment has. Then, you can make better informed decisions for future purchases. I'm a big fan of stablization. But, with a £150 budget, it may be a bit hard to squeeze it in if you want to cover a good range from wide to long.

Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:54 AM   #8

hi jim , just an update , i ended up getting the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX Kit lens's that i saw on ebay, im waiting for them to arrive at the moment.

in the meantime, i live near the coast, and i was hoping to get some long panoramic beach shots.

so could you suggest a cheap panormaic lenses ( ive got a feeling thats a bit of a condraticition) that i could look for on ebay, it would be good if it was compatable with my d40's autofocus, but im not sure if thats possible. many thanks , seb.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:18 AM   #9
Administrator

I don't think I know what you mean by a Panorama lens.

Do you have a link to the type of photo you're thinking about? I'm not sure you just mean a lens with a wider angle of view than your 18mm starting point would provide, or a fisheye type images, or a Panaroma image with a different ratio of width to height).

If you're just talking about the aspect ratio of the image (ratio of width to height), you can do that by cropping (removing outside edges, leaving the part you want in the middle), or by using software to stitch multiple images together into a one larger image (which is done by taking multiple photos, overlapping them some, then using software to stitch them together)

We have a dedicated Panorama / Stitching Forum that you may want to visit for more information on technique for shooting Panaromas (which will require a tripod), as well as tools for stitching multiple images together.

Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:12 PM   #10

something like this, like a wide angle, iveknowpeople take multiple shots horizontally and stitch them together with photoshop before, but i havent actually researched it yet.
Attached Images