Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:01 PM   #1

Default NIkon lenses

Guys, I am conteplating purchasing a D100 or D1X, which is not that important to this post. The question I have is wrt to lenses, what is the difference between the lenses that NIKON has, they have various different kind, G, ED, DX etc. Can anybody shed some light on this or point me to a website where I can get the info.
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2003, 6:02 PM   #2

I had the same problem. Then I found this site, which does a good job explaining all those weird letter codes on the nikon glass:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...menclature.jsp

Damn, they changed their site. Took a little hunting, and I found it again. Time to update my bookmark.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:25 PM   #3

G lenses lack the aperture ring found on standard lenses, so adjustments can only be made through dials on the body of the camera.

DX lenses have a smaller image circle, specific for the size of the sensors on Nikon DSLR's, also making the lenses slightly smaller, and to a lesser extent, cheaper. Not cheaper enough I think... of course, this in no means is in regards to the optical and structural fidelity of the lens, just price wise.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 2:01 AM   #4

Tracy - buying lenses from Nikon should be considered these days. The DX lenses will make round shots on an ordinary 35mm format and these days there's lots of serious rumours, that Nikon in a couple of years (maybe already next year) will change there CCD size to full frame as the conventional 35mm format.

My advice is to stay away from the DX lenses that are especially made for Digital slr.

Someone may tell you, that Nikon will never change, but Canon will go (and already are) with the 35mm full frame format.

If you're uncertain of these issues you may like to go to my website and look under "The Digicams" which contains the most basic knowledge to get you started with DSLRs.

Be aware of what you buy !!!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2003, 3:07 AM   #5

I believe the quote from the head of nikon imaging suggested that the professional camera line will move to full frame (but didn't say when) but he also said that the consumer grade cameras (which includes the D100) would stay with a crop factor.

The quote comes from here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6126821

I just can't wait until sensors get enough photosite density that this is all moot. I'd love to shoot full frame for some things, but still be able to crop in photoshop and match the detail recorded by my 10D. As far as I know, nothing with a larger sensor matches the photosite density of the 10D, so croping afterwards isn't the same.

Eric
Old Sep 20, 2003, 4:51 AM   #6

Eric...

Quote:
I believe the quote from the head of nikon imaging suggested that the professional camera line will move to full frame (but didn't say when) but he also said that the consumer grade cameras (which includes the D100) would stay with a crop factor.

You know...Nikon going with two sensors...Maybe, but as the Dslrs get cheaper (and they still do and still will, sure your agree) - ordinary people will buy pro-models. Just think of the pricelevels for the F5 - Nikons future topmodel may even come cheaper. They will not stay in the pricelevel we're seeing these days.

This is why I wouldn't consider any DX-lenses! I can't imagine Nikon will split there lens program even into more pieces... Running two different lines of lenses seems not that clever to me! They HAVE to keep up with Canon! These days Canon are running, while Nikon stills walks.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 11:42 AM   #7

The F5 has kept its value, though. That is one expensive camera. I was shocked, actually, at how expensive it is. I mean... it doesn't have the costly sensor (but it does have an amazing motor drive.) It shares the same AF system as the D1x & D1h (right?) I thought they shared the same metering system too. Yet, it still costs almost 2K after this many years.

I'm sure it's because they can... if you can charge around 2K and meet your sales numbers, why sell it for less?

I do agree to some extend. I assume that DSLRs will eventually price match the film SLRs that exist now. Why go lower? The market has shown that they can sell them in these ranges. Of course, they might argue that since you don't have film costs you can afford to pay more.

The only reason I'd get a DX lens is if I was going to consider it a unit with the camera. If I sell/give away the body, I give it with the lens. I haven't looked at the prices of the DX lenses, but I'm not surprised if they were too high (in my/our opinion.) Because I expect to get get rid of the lens with the body, the lens isn't an invenstment like other lenses. I wouldn't expect to be using it 5 years later.

I do agree that Nikon is behind Canon in many ways, but in this case isn't Canon immitating Nikon. Their new lens that ships with the 300D is bascially the same concept as the DX lens, isn't it? But it is limited (right now) to only one body! Even worse!

Eric
Old Sep 20, 2003, 3:49 PM   #8

Eric - I think one of us will be right sooner or later. But look at the prices on D100 and D30/D60/10D - they are very competitive to each other and still being cheaper. Nikon new superfast DSLR is one of the cheapest high-end Dslrs ever!!!!

As far as I see - everything will find find a reasonable level as soon as conventionel camera dissapears from the market.