Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:33 PM   #1

Hey guys. I've been taking photos for a while now with my Kodak P880, and I'm about to step up to a Nikon D40x. I've been looking around at lenses for the darn thing, some have pretty good reviews, and look rather nice, but I was wondering if any of you guys have suggestions for a guy just about to enter the DSLR world.

I'm on a budget, only about 100-230 dollars, and there's a lot of lenses in that range. I'm looking for lenses with either Macro or telephoto capabilities that dp the job well for their price range.

So any samples from lenses, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Jake.
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Be aware that any lens you use on a D40, D40x or D60 will need a built in focus motor if you want to use Autofocus. For example, Nikon's AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) lens feature, or Sigma's HSM (Hypersonic Motor) feature. That's because these 3 Nikon cameras don't have focus motors built into them.

So, make sure any lens that is not a Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM lens will work on your camera body if you want Autofocus (most others won't Autofocus on a D40, D40x or D60). Other Nikon DSLR models won't have this restriction (they can use Autofocus lenses without focus motors built in since one is built into their camera bodies).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3

Yeah, unfourtunately my budget doesn't really permit a D80 or something, so I'll have to work with what I have.

Thanks for your reply, that helps. I now know that any Sigma lens with HSM will work well with the D40x.

En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:22 PM   #4

If on a budget the 18-55 & 55-200 VR's would be hard to beat if you want to buy new.

Adorama, Cameta Camera and other honest dealers have large selections on used lenses in almost new condition that can be great buys. I have bought many used lenses and have never had a problem.

You will have to be careful that they will work on your camera.
Valleyjim is offline   Reply With Quote