Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:22 AM   #11

I have not tried to send a pic before so I apologiseif this doesnt work.

This photo was taken with the 18-200 in very poor light .The bird was flying at speed not far away from from me .The lens tracked it perfectly ,it was a one off shot not one of a multitude,as I didn't have continous set on the camera.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:22 AM   #12

I have not tried to send a pic before so I apologise if this doesnt work.

This photo was taken with the 18-200 in very poor light .The bird was flying at speed not far away from from me .The lens tracked it perfectly ,it was a one off shot not one of a multitude,as I didn't have continous set on the camera.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:44 AM   #13

deadshot wrote:
Quote:
I have not tried to send a pic before so I apologise if this doesnt work.

One more go.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:18 AM   #14

Yee haa! Here's one more ,as I now have the hang of it. This Vulture was a reasonable way away and going as fast as it could for food.Still the 18-200 VR /D40x kept track of it despite the back ground business. I am no professional but I think this combo is great. My first DSLR and I am very pleased with the results. A couple of small niggles .I wish the reds were not quite so highly saturated and the F5.6 plus high shutter speed (i.e. 1/3200th F5.6 seems odd to me) in Program at 200mm still bugs me a bit but overall I think it's an excellent combo. Nikon say it's normal and that the camera is designed to make sure you get a shot that is not blurred, with the lens at the longest setting.

It was the lens thatpulled me over to Nikon from my Canon film SLRs.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:52 AM   #15

Just as matter of interest,I thought I would mention that as the weather was so bad on the dayI took the two photo's just posted ,I raised the ISO to 1600 and set the shutter to 1/500th tofreeze the birds movement, the camera decided on F5.6 for both shots taken 130mm and 150mm consecutively,probably because the aperture wouldn't go any wider.Which shows a fair degree of leeway with exposure as both shots came out.
Old May 3, 2008, 10:45 PM   #16

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
From what I understand the lens creep only appeared in early versions of the 18-200. After the first year or so in release, the lens creep issues was apparently taken care of.
I bought mine with the D300 in January, and there is zero creep...Except, perhaps the guy looking in the viewfinder...
Firedog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 1:02 AM   #17

there is zero creep if you turn it in and keep it at 18 mm. At other values it is literally running away rather than creeping in both upward and downward positions. That too in a new lens. Should I exchange it?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 3:15 AM   #18

wise wrote:
Quote:
there is zero creep if you turn it in and keep it at 18 mm. At other values it is literally running away rather than creeping in both upward and downward positions. That too in a new lens. Should I exchange it?
I think I would change it if it bothered me a great deal but only if I could change it at a dealership. Other wise there could be the possibility of getting something worse.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_gui...R_lenses.shtml

Have a look at the Camera Labs Video Tour review of the lens ,the chap actually demonstrates the amount of creep .You can compare yours against it.
Old May 8, 2008, 6:41 AM   #19

I bought my 18-200 from Nikon distributor in Thailand. I told him I do not want one that creep. He told me only the earlylots of the lenses that were made in Japan used to have creeping problem, those made in Thailand do not creep. He showed me a few lenses and not a single one had the problem. If you going to buy a secondhand 18-200 make sure it was made in Thailand.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 5:48 PM   #20

Thank you deadshot. Now I know that my lens doesn't have unusual creep.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote