Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 24, 2008, 6:44 AM   #21

As my pics taken with the 18-200 V R lens seem to be of interested here is another,

taken in lousy weather again 1/500th at 5.6 and 1600 iso,I slightly sharpened this.

In hindsight I could probably have got away with 1/250th and iso 800,at the time I felt I was playing save as far as blur goes.

Also none of these three pics have been sent in high quality. I am not all that good at web posting, so I am concerned about file sizes. Any help in that department would be gratefully received.
Attached Images

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 2:08 PM   #22

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I bought my 18-200 from Nikon distributor in Thailand. I told him I do not want one that creep. He told me only the earlylots of the lenses that were made in Japan used to have creeping problem, those made in Thailand do not creep. He showed me a few lenses and not a single one had the problem. If you going to buy a secondhand 18-200 make sure it was made in Thailand.
I have one made in Thailand and it creeps. It may be the case now and possibly why they were in short supply for so long to take care of that problem.

Pure speculation on my part.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 8:51 AM   #23

This shows how good the 18-200mmVR is in bad light ,unfortunately having to go down in quality to post it has reduced its appearance somewhat.I can tell you the original is sharp to my eyes.It was taken in the armoury of a medieval Castle in England and the available light was not as good as it it looks.

Hand held no flash 1600iso 1/8th sec F4.D40x body.
Attached Images

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 11:40 AM   #24

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I bought my 18-200 from Nikon distributor in Thailand. I told him I do not want one that creep. He told me only the earlylots of the lenses that were made in Japan used to have creeping problem, those made in Thailand do not creep. He showed me a few lenses and not a single one had the problem. If you going to buy a secondhand 18-200 make sure it was made in Thailand.
I have one made in Thailand and it creeps. It may be the case now and possibly why they were in short supply for so long to take care of that problem.

Pure speculation on my part.

Mahalo,

Tom
Since my earlier post about this lens (the one about the creep only being an issue in older lenses), I've gotten this lens. I got it with the rebate with my D300. And my copy creeps. I haven't found it to be a huge problem. If you're pointing up or down at any length in between extremes it could be an issue. Apparently from what I've read, Nikon claims that creep is possible and even if the lens creeps a bit, it is within specs. One solution I've seen is using a rubber band or one of those silicone wrist bands to stop the creep.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 3:33 PM   #25

Or simply hold the zoom ring with the left hand while shooting up or down.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 1:52 AM   #26

I just bought the 18-200 and it has zero creep regardless where it's set at, i set it at 70mm and wiggle it back and forth with the lense facing down and it stays put...i need to pump it up and down fairly hard to get the thing to move. Also there is ZERO play or wobble all the way out to 200, very tight. It might break in somewhat and start creeping, I've only had it a month
MikeyBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 9:26 AM   #27

I am on the fense on my 18-135 kit replacement with the 18-200 or the 16-80 VR. I already have a 70-200 f2.8, so I am debating on the same facal range.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 10:19 PM   #28

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
I am on the fense on my 18-135 kit replacement with the 18-200 or the 16-80 VR. I already have a 70-200 f2.8, so I am debating on the same facal range.
Me too. My 18-135 has lived a hard life, and is now living on borrowed time. I can't part with it for as long as it would take to repair, and want VR anyhow. I've been happy with the photos from it, so I'd love to get a VR version and keep the zoom range. The 18-200 has the range, but some (not all) are saying the 16-85 is better. Also, Sigma is coming out with a 18-125 OS, but their orginal 18-125 didn't seem to get good reviews.

Of course what I really want is a sealed zoom that doesn't svck in air, dust, fungus, moisture, etc, etc every time it's zoomed in and out. For that I would pay extra.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 7:47 AM   #29

bkrownd wrote:
Quote:
Angel L. wrote:
Of course what I really want is a sealed zoom that doesn't svck in air, dust, fungus, moisture, etc, etc every time it's zoomed in and out. For that I would pay extra.

I'm not sure they can do that. As it zooms its volume changes. If it was sealed it would creat differential pressures and would always want to return the unzoomed state. Now maybe if it was always zoomed and somehow only the internals moved... but then it always be long and wouldn't fit in the bag.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 3:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Zooms with rings really don't suck alot of air in and out of the lens. The push-pull style of zoom is more likely to do this.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote