Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 31, 2008, 3:06 PM   #31

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Zooms with rings really don't oops alot of air in and out of the lens.*
Of course they do. The volume of the lens nearly doubles -all that air has to come from somewhere. Along with the air comes dust, moisture, fungus, etc. My zooms are really dusty inside after just a year, and one has fungus.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:17 PM   #32

Clarification on this topic. I am wondering if I should have paid around $750 for a brand new 18-200 VR that was made in Thailand? In other words did I get what I paid for or should I have gotten one that was manufacturered in Japan for that price? ...One last shot at explaining what I'm asking - are there various 18-200VR's made in different countries that cost different amounts and are potentially different qualities? Hopefully this makes sense...???
Jeff618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff618 View Post
Clarification on this topic. I am wondering if I should have paid around $750 for a brand new 18-200 VR that was made in Thailand? In other words did I get what I paid for or should I have gotten one that was manufacturered in Japan for that price? ...One last shot at explaining what I'm asking - are there various 18-200VR's made in different countries that cost different amounts and are potentially different qualities? Hopefully this makes sense...???
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I wouldn't worry about where the lens is made. They are made using the same specs, and go through the same quality control regardless of point of origin. I've heard no issues of problems of any Nikon lens based on where it was made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
I have had the 18-200 vr lens for three months now ,it was made in Thailand .

I love it ,it is very quick to focus, I have had some great in flight bird shots.

It's sharp enough for me.

It seems that by default it will give you as fast a shutter speed as it can at the long endif you shoot inprogram mode,which is obviously good for action shots.

I noticed had a speck inside the the front lens after I had had it 2 mths ,so I unscrewed it and cleaned it off ,no problem.It comes off as easily as a filter.

There are 2 washers behind the lens.

At18mm you will get a fair amount of distortion but I easily fix it in Photoshop if it bothers me.
One thing thing that impresses me the most is the VR as I have had some hand held shots as low as 1/6th sec , that I just couldnt believe came out sharp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
I have one that came as part of a kit with my D200. I use it on my D40 mostly now. It is made in Thailand. Going on two years with this lens I have been pleased with my results and have used it also for three weddings that I shot last summer. It is a great walk around lens and the VR does work very well.

There is only one thing I do not care for is "lens creep". I don't know why it is the way it is but for the amount of money spent on it I feel that this should not be happening with this lens from the get go. I know in time lens creep can/will occur but, this was happeningright out of the box. The only reason I kept it is because there were none to be found anywhere. The prices it was going for was almost double that it is now.

That aside the results of the lens made in Thailand is as good as it gets.
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Thanks, but none of those SPECIFICALLY answers my question. So, I'll try again...

Is there a Japanese 18-200VR? Does it sell for the same price as a Thailand 18-200VR? Or did I pay the Japanese price $750ish for a Thailand lens that I could have gotten for less money. Hopefully that clarifies the question...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff618 View Post
Thanks, but none of those SPECIFICALLY answers my question. So, I'll try again...

Is there a Japanese 18-200VR? Does it sell for the same price as a Thailand 18-200VR? Or did I pay the Japanese price $750ish for a Thailand lens that I could have gotten for less money. Hopefully that clarifies the question...

As far as I know, the answer is no. Mostly only the pro-level stuff is made in japan. They have since released a newer version of the 18-200 which I assume is also made in Thailand.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:30 PM   #36

The first version of 18-200VR is made in Japan but that version is plagued with quality issues like the AF ribbon getting snagged. The Thailand version corrected this issue. Which means the Thailand version is the better version.
dekra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:35 PM   #37

The thai's make very good quality dslr lenses at the nikon plant. You really do not have to worry about the build quality. It is a country with a strong photography interest. And they are quite proud of the dslr products they make for nikon.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:57 AM   #38

Thanks guys for the reassurance. I guess I got spooked when I saw on one website a "US" version at a higher price vs. a "non-US" verision (can't remember exactly how they labeled it) at a lower price. Since I'm a novice, it spooked me.

NOW, if I could only get the D5000 body that's on backorder, I'll be good-to-go!! LOL
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:09 AM   #39

none US is for gray market only. But they are all made at the same plant. Just the US version is sold through nikon USA with a US warranty.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:23 AM   #40

Thank you - these are the answers I was searching for. My len's SN starts with "US" so I'm assuming I wasn't duped!!