Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:40 PM   #1

Default Extreme Wide Angle Lens for D100 ??

To achieve extreme wide angle on a Nikon D100:

Option #1 => Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D IF ED
Price => $710 Cdn

Option #2 => Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX DG ASPH
Price => $970 Cdn

Which would you suggest? Why?

THANKS!
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:04 PM   #2

I had to make the same choice earlier this year. I choose the Sigma and havent regret for one moment.

That lens is extreme sharp at f.8.

But the reason why I choose the Sigma was the 15mm. It's my opinion, that Nikon will - sooner or later - go for at full frame CCD and at that time I got a awesome 15mm!

If you like you can go to my website and read what I like and what I dont like by this lens!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:26 AM   #3

Agree with all the comments on this but NIkon now has a 12-24 for $900 that is tough to get but AFS so it's pretty deadly. Reviews are favorable. I've paid for one but have not received it yet. Just wanted you to know it exists if you didn't make your purchase yet.
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:51 PM   #4

I agree with Klaus on this one too... I bought the Sigma for the 15mm full frame view. I would buy it again, though I have to admit that on a full frame camera the edge sharpness leaves something to be desired and there is a fair amount of distortion in the logical places. On a D100, you only use the center of the available coverage and it is quite sharp given its extreme wide angle.

I also paid only $467 for it so it was substantially cheaper than the Nikkor -- though the Nikkor did not exist when I bought mine...

Just one man's point of view...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
I had to make the same choice earlier this year. I choose the Sigma and havent regret for one moment.

That lens is extreme sharp at f.8.

But the reason why I choose the Sigma was the 15mm. It's my opinion, that Nikon will - sooner or later - go for at full frame CCD and at that time I got a awesome 15mm!

If you like you can go to my website and read what I like and what I dont like by this lens!
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote