Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:54 PM   #1

I have just been offered the above lense at a very good price with box, caps and hood.

I need a 2.8 telezoom for baseball, should I purchase it. I cannot afford the nikon or the sigma. Also can I use a teleconverter for day games to get more reach?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:19 AM   #2

It seems to be a very good lens, so if you get a good price go for it. You still may find the reach a bit short. You'll need to be pretty close (in or near the dugout) to be able to fill the frame. I typically use a 70-300vr for baseball, but I have field access as I help coach my kids teams. Even 300 is a bit short sometimes when trying shoot action out on the bases.

In terms of a TC, you could probably get away with a 1.4x. A 2x puts you near the limits of autofocus, and will affect IQ and focus speed negatively.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, I know it will be very short as far as reach for baseball. I plan to buy the 70-300 VR later, but its hard to justify 500.00 for a plastic lense. A 1.4 TC will give me 280mm will I be able to use it also for night games also? Will I loose f2.8?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:34 AM   #4

There is no free lunch! A 1.4x TC will cost you one stop so your f/2.8 will become f/4. A 2x TC will cost you two stops so your f/2.8 becomes f/5.6.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:53 AM   #5

Will 280mm f4 with a TC be fine for sports in a sunny day?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:27 AM   #6

It depends! Sports shooting demands fast shutter speeds to stop the action. You shouldn't have any problem jacking up the ISO a bit to compensate for a slower lens. If you can get closer to the players you should still get frame filling shots.

Have a look at http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learnin...comparison.php to see what 280mm buys you.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:59 AM   #7

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I know it will be very short as far as reach for baseball. I plan to buy the 70-300 VR later, but its hard to justify 500.00 for a plastic lense. A 1.4 TC will give me 280mm will I be able to use it also for night games also? Will I loose f2.8?
True it's plastic, but the lens still feels solid, and is a very good performer. For a big lens, it's quite light and well balanced because of the plastic. I don't believe that plastic means cheap anymore, as it did in the past. Heck, the consumer level DSLR's are mostly plastic. I haven't had any durability concerns with the lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:27 AM   #8
Administrator

What's a "very good price" on the Tokina?

Keep in mind that you'll want a lens that's reasonable sharp with the aperture wide open for night games (since you'll need to use it wide open at f/2.8 ).

The Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 and Sigma f/2.8 lenses are a bit sharper at wider apertures from most user reports I've seen. So, I'd compare prices of used Nikkor and Sigma lenses with the Tokina.

Here are some examples of Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 D AF lenses at keh.com at good prices ($546 for one in Excellent Condition). You can sometimes find the older non-D versions for even less.

Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 D Macro ED Autofocus Lens listings with caps and case at keh.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:40 AM   #9

Recomendation, the 70-300 VR to shoot in daylight only or 80-200 F2.8 with TC to shoot in both night and day. The 70-300 VR will be 2.5 times more expensive (granted new vs used for the Tokina).

Right now I have a 70-210 AF F4, and I can fill the frame on the batters box and Pitcher from the backstop and the corners. I need to crop for the infield, and the outfield is just to far for anything afordable for an amature who likes photography.

This is my plan to fill my bag in the future for my D80.

18-135 (kit), 16-80vr, 80-200 f2.8 or 70-300vr and a speedlight sb22.

Will this be a well rounded setup?

Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:50 AM   #10
Administrator

So, how important are the night games to you? I figured that was one of the main reasons you wanted to upgrade to a DSLR. ;-)

If they're important, you'll want f/2.8, and you could always use it with a TC in the daytime and get something else later if you decide you need even better quality for the day games (Sigma 100-300mm f/4, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote