Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:55 PM   #1

There is this guy in one of the IRC rooms looking to sell a 6mm 220 degree f/5.6. He sid he saw it sold for 30k on eBay. How much is this lens really worth today? Approximately. I noticed there is a f/2.8 version as well. I'm curious.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2008, 10:05 AM   #2

The production run was very limited from what I've seen. I'm only aware of the f2.8 version...I've seen reports of there being less the 1000 ever made. Prices at auction have been anywhere from 5k-25k. It's an absolutely huge piece of glass.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3

Had no idea "limited edition" lenses like this fisheye could be worth so much. Was surprised when I was told how much people were willing to shell out. But for methere would be very limiteduse for my type of photography. At least for the immediate future. As I said I was just curious.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4

I may be wrong, but I think they were mostly used for military and aerial photography purposes, and were really built mostly on a special order basis. Looking at some pics, you wouldn't be handholding with this lens, and would need a serious tripod to support it. You would have to have a real specific need or be a real collector to need to add this lens to your arsenal.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 3:06 PM   #5

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...eyes/6mm56.htm

The reflex mirror of the camera must be in the up and locked position before the lens is mounted.

This rules out any Nikon DLSR!

I've seen the f/2.8 version, it was the size of a dinner plate! 236mm dia. or about 10 inches.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...yes/6mmf28.htm
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote