Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 7, 2008, 1:09 AM   #1

Hi Docs.

I am expected to cover a seminar with my small D-40 as the professional mediaman is not available for the day. I have two lenses, 18-55, which came with the camera and 18-200 VR. The 18-200 gives a lot of distortion and unexplained softness in some photos but has IS.

For covering a seminar with about 80to 100 participants,which of the two will be preferable? I am planning to get an external Flash too BTW.

Thanks in advance.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2008, 6:50 AM   #2

The external flash is the most important part.

Normally the 18-200 would be ideal when paired with the external flash. But it sounds like you're having problems with that lens. Are you actually getting worse results with the 18-200 than with the kit lens? If so, stick with the kit lens and get your 18-200 looked at. If it's at least as good as the kit lens then use the 18-200.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:04 AM   #3

wise wrote:
Quote:
Hi Docs.

I am expected to cover a seminar with my small D-40 as the professional mediaman is not available for the day. I have two lenses, 18-55, which came with the camera and 18-200 VR. The 18-200 gives a lot of distortion and unexplained softness in some photos but has IS.

For covering a seminar with about 80to 100 participants,which of the two will be preferable? I am planning to get an external Flash too BTW.

Thanks in advance.
The 18- 55mm lens is a good lens and you won't have the same problem with flash as you will find using the 18-200mm VR. The 18-200mm VR due to its size will have a dark shadow at the bottom of your pictures at 18mm.

Your findings with the 18-200mm VR is not what I experience with my copy. I use it mostly on my D40 and find it to be a great combination. For flash I have the SB400 which was made for the D40/D40x. It does a great job and I don't find it to be underpowered as claimed by some posters. I also, have the SB800 speedlight and it is a great flash unit. In my opinion it would be overkill to have the flash coupled with the D40. Many of its functions would not be used due the the D40 not having the same capabilities as the D70/D70s, D200, D300, D3. Nikon has CLS feature that the D40 cannot take full advantage of. The SB600 is more power than the SB400 and is probably the most bang for your buck flash. The SB00 is typically 120 to 130 dollars more than the SB600.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4

Thanks guys. You have been of great help!
wise is offline   Reply With Quote