Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 7, 2008, 11:18 PM   #1
conor

Alright, now that I've wasted my entire evening reading lens specs:

Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) AF09N700 $399
Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG $490
NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4 AF Zoom $670

Obviously the Nikon glass will AF with my D50, but will the other two? If all will, does anyone have a recommendation?

Let's make the assumption thatI only need the common gound (ie, 28-70mm)

Thanks in advance for any replies/feedback/comments! They're always appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 6:55 AM   #2

The 18-55 kid lens with your D50 is one of the better lenses from Nikon. With dslr like your D50, 18-55 lens is actually equivalent to 27- 80 lens use on film cameras due to 1.5 cropping factor. I am still useing my 18-55 D50 kit lens with my D200 now.

The 18-55 kit lens is an exception to the rule, you get much more than what you paid!
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 8:24 AM   #3
Administrator

If you don't mind the extra size and weight, I'd probably look at the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM, too. You may appreciate a lens starting out a bit wider than 28mm, especially when shooting in closer quarters when you can only back up so far to get everything you want in the frame.

The Sigma tests quite well compared to other similar lens offerings. For example, here is someone that has used multiple copies of the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L and Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 with lens tests and comments about them. He's also got some comparisons with the Tamron 28-75mm you're looking at.

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/2470exl

Here is a review of one on a Canon dSLR. But, given that it's the same optical design and HSM focusing, I would expect to see similar results on a Nikon dSLR.

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM Macro review at photozone.de

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 9:59 AM   #4
conor

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
The 18-55 kid lens with your D50 is one of the better lenses from Nikon. With dslr like your D50, 18-55 lens is actually equivalent to 27- 80 lens use on film cameras due to 1.5 cropping factor. I am still useing my 18-55 D50 kit lens with my D200 now.

The 18-55 kit lens is an exception to the rule, you get much more than what you paid!
The 18-55 kit lens is f3.5-5.6, I am really looking for the extra aperture.

Secondly, I admit to have completely missed the boat (and forgotten that these lenses were not designed specifically for a DC that was subject to the 1.5 cropping factor), so I was really comparing apples (lens numbers) to oranges (the goal in my head).

I really have to stop and remind myself that comparing most lenses to my kit 18-55 based purely on the numbers is wrong.

WasI correct that all three of those lenses would auto-focus on my D50? The hardest part of my quest is figuring out which ones will and which ones wont.

So far I know that any Nikon lens with "AF" in the model name will, and I was under the impression that this held true for Tamron glass as well, but I'm still not sure how to determine if a given Sigma will.

You guys are great, thanks again for your time!
Old May 8, 2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Administrator

conor wrote:
Quote:
Secondly, I admit to have completely missed the boat (and forgotten that these lenses were not designed specifically for a DC that was subject to the 1.5 cropping factor), so I was really comparing apples (lens numbers) to oranges (the goal in my head).
Right, hence my concern that a lens starting out at 28mm may not be wide enough and you should consider the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 instead if you don't mind the additional size and weight.

I keep a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF lens on my KM 5D or Sony A700 more often than not as a walk around lens. That's cutting it pretty close for group shots in tight spaces (I sometimes need a bit wider). But, it's a good compromise focal range for the type of shooting I do more often (versus a lens limited to a shorter focal length of around 50mm on the long end).

If you want a lens starting out wider than 24mm (which would give you the same angle of view on your D50 that you'd have using 36mm on a 35mm camera), you've got several third party choices available now.

One you may want to look at is the new Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X 165 PRO DX AF lens. It's around $639 now at vendors like http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Scroll down in this thread, and you'll see a post from NHL disussing why he bought one of these Tokina lenses for a lens to use on his Nikon D300, with links to reviews:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=66

Quote:
WasI correct that all three of those lenses would auto-focus on my D50? The hardest part of my quest is figuring out which ones will and which ones wont.
Yes, your D50 has a focus motor built in and will Autofocus with those lenses (as long as you get them in the correct mount for Nikon). Your camera doesn't have the same restrictions you'll find with the newer D40, D40x and D60 (which require lenses with focus motors built in if you want Autofocus, since Nikon didn't include a focus motor in these camera bodies).

Old May 8, 2008, 10:57 AM   #6
conor

JimC wrote:
Quote:
conor wrote:
Quote:
Right, hence my concern that a lens starting out at 28mm may not be wide enough and you should consider the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 instead if you don't mind the additional size and weight.

I keep a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF lens on my KM 5D or Sony A700 more often than not as a walk around lens. That's cutting it pretty close for group shots in tight spaces (I sometimes need a bit wider). But, it's a good compromise focal range for the type of shooting I do more often (versus a lens limited to a shorter focal length of around 50mm on the long end).

If you want a lens starting out wider than 24mm (which would give you the same angle of view on your D50 that you'd have using 36mm on a 35mm camera), you've got several third party choices available now.

One you may want to look at is the new Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X 165 PRO DX AF lens. It's around $639 now at vendors like http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I currently have my 50mm prime, and my 18-55 "kit" lens.

I was looking for something that would start out somewhere in the middle of the kit lens's (zoom) range and extend abit past the end of it, with a maximum f2.8 (or wider of course, but from my research, the price skyrockets) through the entire range.

I've had the "kit" lens for 2 years now, and I don't think I've ever zoomed all the way out (definitely not indoors, the one time I'd usea wider aperture)

The other thing I should mention is that I've NEVER shot with a film SLR, when comparing lenses, I always use the "brute force" method and compare it to the 18-55 "kit" lens, (put one on, zoom in and out, put the other on, zoom in and out, make mental note of the range), especially considering I'm not always sure if a lens's "24mm" means "24mm on my smaller sensor or 24mm on a 35mm".

( Here I was, thinking I'd asked an intelligent question, and it suddenly looks like it belongs back in the newbie help forum! )
Old May 8, 2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Administrator

Yea... but, just because you have another lens starting out wider, doesn't mean you want to go through the hassle of changing lenses if you find the one you've got mounted isn't quite wide enough to fit what you want to in the frame, especially with things like group shots of family members indoors in closer quarters. ;-)

LIke I mentioned, I think 24mm is about as long as I'd want to go on the wide end of a zoom like that. Yea.. I could get by with 28mm most of the time if I had to (as I use a 28mm f/2 indoors quite a bit). But, I'd prefer something starting out at 24mm or wider if I'm going for the convenience of a zoom instead (and in closer quarters, I'll sometiems switch to a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 for more flexibility).

I've got a Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 AF lens I use sometimes, too. But, a lens starting out at 35mm is a bit too limiting in closer quarters. So, it doesn't get used that much indoors for family gatherings, etc. (and I'm more like to go to longer primes indoors anyway if I need more focal range).

Old May 8, 2008, 11:17 AM   #8
conor

My personal reason for wanting the lens I describe is a product of what I've typically shot a lot in the past. Attached picture was shot with my D50 and the kit lens. By no means is it the greatest picture, but I think it's pretty impressive for an amature with a$130 lens. (No post processing, just a resize/resample in IrfanView)

I know that I'd have to spend a small fortune on a lens if I wanted to get a "professional quality" shot in this environment, but I thought it would be nice to have a lens that would offer a slight improvement and give me a bit of everydayuse (a bit of added zoom).

Last edited by conor; Apr 21, 2016 at 9:14 AM.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Administrator

Somewhere along the way, you stripped the EXIF out of that image, so I can't tell the camera settings used (and Irfanview usually comes with the retain EXIF box checked by default if you use "Save As" with JPEG files after downsizing).

Having camera settings in the EXIF would give us a better clue of the lighting you're trying to shoot in. In very low light for live music, I'll usually go with a 100mm f/2. f/2.8 zooms just aren't bright enough for some the low light clubs and restaurants around here, even when trying to shoot at ISO 3200.

But, with better stage lighting (and that's better stage lighting that I'd usually shoot in around here from the looks of the overhead lights), you can usually get by with an f/2.8 zoom at higher ISO speeds (although a zoom is usually going to be softer wide open at f/2.8, versus a brighter prime stopped down to f/2.8 ).

What focal length was that at, and do you know what camera settings were used for ISO speed, aperture and shutter speed? Is that somewhere you'll shoot at often?

Old May 8, 2008, 12:42 PM   #10
conor

I have no idea why the EXIF data was lost on that image, but here's the bit you're asking about:

Focal Length: 28mm (using my 18-55mm kit lens)
ISO: 800
F Number: 4.5
Exposure Time: 1/20s
White Balance: Auto
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash Used: Not Fired

Yes, I shoot this environment often(40% of the pictures I have taken over the last two years were shot in a similar environment), and it's not a place where I really want to start changing a lens.