Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:30 PM   #11
NHL

They both should, HSM for the AF is in the lens and so is the OS
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:44 AM   #12

OK, thanks! I have to remember HSM = AF-S. After a while of browsing through all the lenses out there, I start to get confused.:?
Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:05 AM   #13

Has anyone been using this lens that would like to share their thoughts about it? There don't seem to be too many reviews out there. I have read that its a little slow to focus at 500mm though.

I am considering getting a 500mm lens and this looks like the best one I can afford. Are there any other similar ones I should consider up to $1.5k?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:14 PM   #14
NHL

Casa B wrote:
Quote:
I am considering getting a 500mm lens and this looks like the best one I can afford. Are there any other similar ones I should consider up to $1.5k?
Do you really need VR/OS ?
-> Several of my friends already got theirs but what I've noticed are:
1. The 150-500 is not an EX series like the Bigma
2. It's also larger and heavier than the Bigma which is an EX
3. You also lose the 50-150 range of the Bigma which is a lot when this is the only lens you have on hand

It's perfectly fine to make use of VR/OS in the dark, but can you tell the difference in exposure a flash makes (which then negate VR/OS)? http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

Quote:
... I have read that its a little slow to focus at 500mm though.
How much faster do you want this lens to focus (@ 500mm f/8 )? :-)

Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:22 AM   #15

Thank you NHL. I will have to consider how much I need/want VR/OS. I anticipate using this lens when being out in a mudflats taking shots of shore birds or on the trail of the local WLR where the bay is quite a distance away. Perhaps next year, I will take a job in Africa, so it would be used on safaris too. I don't think I'd buy any flash, although I finally taken to using the one on the camera on occasion.

Now I guess, especially when you mention the weight issue, if I am walking through a wooded area I would use my current 70-300 VR. So perhaps I don't need the VR/OS on the 500mm. And the loss if 50-150 is a lot too as you mention.

I love that shot of the kingfisher!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:14 PM   #16
NHL

Casa B wrote:
Quote:
I don't think I'd buy any flash, although I finally taken to using the one on the camera on occasion.
IMO an external flash is indispensable - much more so than IS or VR especially once you start pointing the camera up in the trees... The on camera flash is just too weak in daylight to do any good!

As you know the trees canopy create low-light, but behind theses tree leaves is a bright sky shining through as you're pointing up - Theses pictures would have been ruined if not for the flash:

Noticed my 1/250s shutter speed for a 500mm without VR?
The short flash pulse alone froze the subject and correct for the exposure - If I was to rely on IS/VR I wouldn't get this color saturation nor contrast but I'll get a silhouette of a bird (and blackened leaves) with bright specular highlights of the backgrounds instead of the real thing!

-> As a bonus you'll also get a 'catchlight' in the eyes which make your subject look more lively
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:53 PM   #17

Well, I just picked up the 50-500 (used from Adorama) and the Nikon SB-600. So we'll see how it goes. No batteries yet, but I'll take the lens to Central Park after work and test the lens.

First impression, damn its heavy!!

I have 7 days in which to return it. We'll see how it goes. I don't have a car so I always travel by public trans and have to carry every thing around all day. Hopefully, the "Bigma" won't prove too impractical, being handheld.

Thanks for the advice NHL! That second photo of the blue bird is outstanding by the way.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:38 PM   #18
NHL

Casa B wrote:
Quote:
First impression, darn its heavy!!
You'll get used to it... :-):lol::-)
-> It's a lot lighter than my EF 500 f/4L or a 200-400 f/4 - It's a 500mm after all with all that glass!

If you want something light (on the cheap): http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=66
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:47 PM   #19

So I'm back from my first time out with the lens / flash combo. I'll need to read the flash manual to get better results with that, but overall I am happy with the flash.

The lens is very good too, I am leaning towards keeping it. The zoom is pheonomenal. I do need to get used to the weight though and the handling. Its cumbersome for me to use the zoom based on the way I hold it.

Two things though. There is something wrong with the lens lock. The switch gets stuck quite often and I can move the zoom. But it is used, so I didn't expect perfect. Maybe I will trade it for one of the other used ones.

Also, there were more than a few times when I couldn't get the AF to work (no 'beep'). Even after tweaking and manually focusing, the shutter wouldn't fire. I don't see any MF/AF switch. Is there any way to override this?

The long zoom did help me notice I have a few smudges on my mirror. So now its time to learn how to clean it. Guess the lens pen won't cut it...

So here are some of the first shots with the new combo. these are all out of the camera, but i resized them use My Computer:

from 39th floor and two blocks away: a bit blurry due to hand shake (i hope!)
my office 50mm

and 500mm

central park:

bad shot of the bird, but shows the promise of the flash:

this one was really dark, but the robin came out:

Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:20 PM   #20
NHL

Casa B wrote:
Quote:
Two things though. There is something wrong with the lens lock. The switch gets stuck quite often and I can move the zoom. But it is used, so I didn't expect perfect. Maybe I will trade it for one of the other used ones.
The switch is used to lock the lens so it won't "droop" when the lens is carried around due to its weight. Secondly once you zoom out, the same switch prevents the lens from being zoom back to the 50mm position when you have a 1.4x or 2x TC mounted as the lens rear elements would bang into the TC

Quote:
Also, there were more than a few times when I couldn't get the AF to work (no 'beep'). Even after tweaking and manually focusing, the shutter wouldn't fire. I don't see any MF/AF switch. Is there any way to override this?
Switch the camera AF from single S to C for continuous mode, the camera will release wether the AF is achieved or not
-> Continuous will try to 'track' the subject at the expense of a more accurate focus

Looks like you're having fun already!