Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 20, 2008, 1:26 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D50 that I would like a new lens for. (I currently use a 28-80).
I am trying to decide between a Nikon 18-200 with VR (1.35-5.6) or a Tamron 18-250 (3.5-6.3).
The Nikon has the Vibration reduction and the Tamron has more of a zoom - that is what I'm trying to decide between. I ONLY use the camera on Auto (know nothing about f-stop, etc), and use it for everyday kind of pictures - kids, scenery, etc.
Any help deciding would be appreciated! Suggestions, tips....anything.
Thanks!
dee42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2008, 1:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

That would be a tough call (especially considering the price difference). With your ccamera, if budget permitted, I'd probably lean towards the Nikkor to get the VR. But, I probably appreciate stablization more than most.

Here are some reviews of these lenses that may help you decide:

Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro review at photozone.de

Nikkor 18-200mm AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II DX review at photozone.de

I've moved your thread down to our Nikon Lenses Forum, where some of our Nikon shooters can give you some input.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 1:59 PM   #3

Dee.

Hmm, tough choice! My money would be on the Nikon 18-200 VR, as it will most likely fit your shooting style more. Less worry about blurry images, more time to have fun!

The Tamron does get some good reviews, but I must say I'm biased toward Nikon lenses! :G

Can you try them out at a camera store and compare the two?

Jacques
Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 2:27 PM   #4

I think what I'm liking about the Tamron is the additional zoom, but I want to be smart and not just make a quick buy based on thinking I am getting something "more" and then regret it later.....I did read the reviews and kind of laughed when the Nikon VR lens mentioned taking pictures while in a moving car - I just did that recently and was disappointed with my results, as they were a bit blurry!! I am not looking forward to spending $700 on the Nikon, but if it will suit me best, then I will. Does the VR lens focus as fast as a regular AF lens and is it okay if the camera is only used on Auto settings??

Also, is there a Nikon lens that has an 18- over 200 range?
dee42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 2:29 PM   #5

Forgetting about budget, I'd probably lean towards the Nikon. It's one of the best superzooms available (although not without issues). The extra 50mm the Tamron has is not all that significant....that can usually be made up by moving forward a few steps closer to your subject. Having Vr available is probably a more useful function than having an extra 50mm. The 18-200 has a decent focus speed and will likely be quicker in this regard than the Tamron. It does take a split second for VR to lock in, but if your focusing using the half shutter press, it shouldn't affect your focus speed significantly.

Nikon (or anyone else as far as I know) does not make a lens with a 18-300 zoom range. That sort of lens would likely be quite large and expensive, with even more optical shortcomings.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 3:27 PM   #6
Administrator

dee42 wrote:
Quote:
I did read the reviews and kind of laughed when the Nikon VR lens mentioned taking pictures while in a moving car - I just did that recently and was disappointed with my results, as they were a bit blurry!!
Just to make sure you were laughing for the right reasons... You do realize that the Vibration Reduction won't help with blur from subject movement, right? It's only designed to help reduce blur from camera shake.

If you're in a moving vehicle, it's not going to help stop blur from that either (because your rapid movement is going to have the same impact as the subject movement, unless you are good with panning so that your subject stays relatively stationary in the frame while you're riding by. The VR lens does have a panning mode to help out with camera shake while panning, and would probably help with vibration from the vehicle. But, don't expect to get better photos with a subject flying across the frame. They'll still be blurry that way, if your photos were blurry for the reasons I suspect.

You'll want faster shutter speeds to stop movement. For that, you'll need a brighter lens with wider aperture settings (represented by smaller f/stops), and/or a higher ISO speed setting to make sure your shutter speeds are fast enough. Each time you double your ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote