Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 27, 2008, 10:58 AM   #1
JTF

I have ordered a 80-400mm VR and would like to know if is a good idea to add a filter to protect the glass. The salesman indicated to me that with the lense hood on this would be fine as you would be adding an inferior filter to excellent glass and that the lense itself is coated. Any opinions on filter use for this specific lense would be appreciated.Thanks.

JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2

I'm suprised you got this recommendation from a salesperson!! Usually they are the most ardent supporters of filters as it puts money in their pockets. There is an endless debate over the use of protective filters. Some love em, some hate em and there are points in between. Yes filters can cause image degradation, flare, softness, etc. And yes, I'd rather break or scratch a filter than a lens element. I used to use filters until I realized in many years, I had never damaged a filter. I had struggled with vignetting and flare, and after much thought, I took the protective filters off about 7 years ago. And I still haven't had any issues. If I were shooting in rough, sandy, dusty conditions, I'd probably put a filter on, but for most of my shooting, my lens is filterless. Your choice depends on your comfort level and how careful you are with your equipment. Mine's insured, so even if I have an issue, it'll get replaced, so I doubt I'll ever go back to protective filters.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3
JTF

Thanks very much for the informative post, much appreciated. I'll go with the lense hood for now.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote