Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:29 PM   #1

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 70-300 VR lens today. Great deal. Respectable shop. Aden Camera.

What I'm wondering is if any of you 70-300 VR owners spotted where the serial number was on the lens. I couldn't spot it. But there was the serial # on the outside of the box below the UPC. And on the Worldwide Service Warranty card. Which is on heavy paper. Versus Xerox paper with my 17-55 (which was made in Japan being that this is a giold band pro lens). Perhaps all the lenses that come from Thailand have their warranty cardfs on paper instead.

And the shop owner said she would register my lens for me. Huh? I registered the lens myself in my Nikon account.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:04 PM   #2

The serial number on my 70-300mm VR lens is stamped just below the Made in Thailand on the underside of the lens. You have to catch the light just right to see it!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:20 PM   #3

The new Nikkors are stamped very lightly as Bob said on the underside of the lens. You really have to be looking for it to find it. It's not like the old white embossed serial numbers on the older lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:34 PM   #4

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
The serial number on my 70-300mm VR lens is stamped just below the Made in Thailand on the underside of the lens. You have to catch the light just right to see it!
You guys are right. I actuallly did spot it the way you gys mentioned. It was so light it's easy to miss. As you said you do have to be looking at the lens at the right angle under right light. Was a little worried. Eventhough, I knew I did buy from from a decent shop.

Where did you buy yours Bob?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:23 PM   #5

I shop at Henry's in Newmarket most of the time. It's the only real camera store in town.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:39 PM   #6

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
I shop at Henry's in Newmarket most of the time. It's the only real camera store in town.
Ahhh the Newmarket location. I actually drove up there to exchange a lens for another. Decent sized shop. I could have driven to the Thornhill location. Probably would have been closer to my present home but for some reason I decided to drive 25 mintues north in a winter storm.

Planning to buy a home in East Gwilimbury soon by Minto Homes. Maybe I'll bump into you at the Newmarket location one day.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 3:01 PM   #7

Welcome to the neighbourhood! Lots of photo ops in the area such as Roger's Reservoir, Newmarket Canal ruins and Fairy Lake.

Send me a private message when you settle in and we can arrange a photo shoot!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:14 PM   #8

I just picked up the 70-300mm VR yesterday and shot some practice pics yesterday afternoon. This is my 8th lens that I just added to my Nikkor collection. I'm really enjoying it so far. My initial impressions: it is very quiet and focuses relatively fast. Of course it doesn't have that nice metallic feeling of the 80-200mm f/2.8 but it's a helluva lot lighter too.Shooting at 70mm picture quality is excellent and still holds true through up to about 250mm. Just like my non-VR 70-300mm G lens at 300mm there┬┤s some slight pincushioning, specifically at the image borders when I was using f/5.6 stop. Stopping down helped alot to correct the problem. Overall, I'm happy with it so far.During the fading light or rainy games, I'll be reverting back to my 80-220 f/2.8 but for most of my shots in football this fall, I think I'll stick with the 70-300mm VR.

I paid $469 U.S. dollars. I thought that was a good price for brand new.

Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:15 PM   #9

Ripsnort wrote:
Quote:
I just picked up the 70-300mm VR yesterday and shot some practice pics yesterday afternoon. This is my 8th lens that I just added to my Nikkor collection. I'm really enjoying it so far. My initial impressions: it is very quiet and focuses relatively fast. Of course it doesn't have that nice metallic feeling of the 80-200mm f/2.8 but it's a helluva lot lighter too.┬*Shooting at 70mm picture quality is excellent and still holds true through up to about 250mm. Just like my non-VR 70-300mm G lens at 300mm there┬┤s some slight pincushioning, specifically at the image borders when I was using f/5.6 stop. Stopping down helped alot to correct the problem. Overall, I'm happy with it so far.┬*During the fading light or rainy games, I'll be reverting back to my 80-220 f/2.8 but for most of my shots in football this fall, I think I'll stick with the 70-300mm VR.

┬*

I paid $469 U.S. dollars. I thought that was a good price for brand new.
Congrats on the new lens. I paid roughly the same amount in CAD$. Seems most Nikkor glass pricing is the same. For the most part. You just have to keep your eyes open for those that aren't. For example, in considering a D700 I was recently looking at the new 14-24 FX lens that was introduced at the same time as a new 24-70 when the D3/D300 were introduced. Any how on www.amazon.com I noticed the HUGE 14-24 is selling for $15xx.xx whereas in Canada it is selling for almost $1900.00 CAD. I would save myself roughly $300.00 odd $ buying here. But honestly I can't really justify the need for a D700 at this point so the 14-24 will have to wait. Happy with my D300. Will again be heading to Huntington Library in San Marino today again for more shooting.

Huntington Library, holds some masterpiece books. But also happens to have room on it's property for a museum that is holding a LA photography exhibit. They also have a Chinese garden. Japanese garden. And a botanical garden. Could possibly be able to try some macro photography. Except I'd have to buy a macro lens and that wouldn't bit in my camera bag I will use to carry my gear back home. Oh well...

http://www.huntington.org/

And as for my initial impressions of the VR 70-300...I think the AF motor is quiet and smooth. And I like the fact that it weighs only 1.5 pounds. Roughly half the weight of a 70-200 f/2.8 VR. So what if it doesn't have the same build quality as a "gold banded" Nikkor lens. In my short time with my D300 I've immediately come to realize how important weight savings is. If I could lessen the poundage in the gear I'm carrying that would be golden. Not sure if I will still buy the 70-200 down the road now. Not sure I can justify it in terms of cost/useage. Better to put my $ in other more useful glass (for my needs).
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:21 PM   #10

^^Sounds like wonderful subject matter to shoot! Enjoy!
Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote